ADC student discount

corran_horn314

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
445
So I'm a college student, CS major and i'm in need of a new laptop. Not only that but i'm highly interested in adopting OSX as a secondary OS(no plans of totally switching). I've been researching a lot lately and think the MacBook Pro would fit my needs. It seems that getting a student ADC membership would end up saving me $100 over the ordinary edu discount. So here's the question: They state that hardware purchased with the ADC discount can be used only for developing. How strict are they with that?

I would develope on it, but that wouldn't be the only thing I'd do. I know there's no practical way they could check so ultimately its how honest I am, but I'd like to play more or less by the rules.

Also, I dont yet have enough money set aside so dont ask for shiny pictures anytime soon :)
 
Of course it means you can use it for other things as well. How the hell are you going to develop stuff without browsing Teh Intarweb for SDKs or documentation or whatever, anyway?
 
corran_horn314 said:
So I'm a college student, CS major and i'm in need of a new laptop. Not only that but i'm highly interested in adopting OSX as a secondary OS(no plans of totally switching). I've been researching a lot lately and think the MacBook Pro would fit my needs. It seems that getting a student ADC membership would end up saving me $100 over the ordinary edu discount. So here's the question: They state that hardware purchased with the ADC discount can be used only for developing. How strict are they with that?

I would develope on it, but that wouldn't be the only thing I'd do. I know there's no practical way they could check so ultimately its how honest I am, but I'd like to play more or less by the rules.

Also, I dont yet have enough money set aside so dont ask for shiny pictures anytime soon :)

When you hear helicopters and men in black suits kick down your door, don't be surprised :p .
 
corran_horn314 said:
So I'm a college student, CS major and i'm in need of a new laptop. Not only that but i'm highly interested in adopting OSX as a secondary OS(no plans of totally switching). I've been researching a lot lately and think the MacBook Pro would fit my needs. It seems that getting a student ADC membership would end up saving me $100 over the ordinary edu discount. So here's the question: They state that hardware purchased with the ADC discount can be used only for developing. How strict are they with that?

I would develope on it, but that wouldn't be the only thing I'd do. I know there's no practical way they could check so ultimately its how honest I am, but I'd like to play more or less by the rules.

Also, I dont yet have enough money set aside so dont ask for shiny pictures anytime soon :)

Newsflash, Apple doesn't really care. The aren't the RIAA or MPAA they don't have the desire nor the resources to go on witch hunts.
 
NulloModo said:
Newsflash, Apple doesn't really care. The aren't the RIAA or MPAA they don't have the desire nor the resources to go on witch hunts.

Unless you start spouting out possible product releases. Then they'll sic Apple Ninjas on you ;)
 
Part of the reason i asked is because i dont think i've ever seen a post here about it, and we have no shortage of college students. I was wondering why more people seemingly weren't using it.
 
corran_horn314 said:
So I'm a college student, CS major and i'm in need of a new laptop. Not only that but i'm highly interested in adopting OSX as a secondary OS(no plans of totally switching). I've been researching a lot lately and think the MacBook Pro would fit my needs. It seems that getting a student ADC membership would end up saving me $100 over the ordinary edu discount. So here's the question: They state that hardware purchased with the ADC discount can be used only for developing. How strict are they with that?

I would develope on it, but that wouldn't be the only thing I'd do. I know there's no practical way they could check so ultimately its how honest I am, but I'd like to play more or less by the rules.

Also, I dont yet have enough money set aside so dont ask for shiny pictures anytime soon :)
Keep in mind, unless you want that info / access - you just pay $100 to get .... $100 more off.
 
actually i took that into account

the macbook pro 1.83ghz is $1800 w/ edu discount and $1600 w/ ADC discount

plus the extra stuff would be nice too :D
 
I bought my MPB with the ADC Discount, and I'm a film major - they don't give a crap.

Basically when you sign up for ADC you're getting your tax paid for.

My 1.83 MBP was $1722 out the door, not a terribly bad price.
 
So... How does one go about getting this discount? Sign up for the ADC Select membership... then what?
 
sign up, they verify your student status, they give you a link to the ADC store, you buy from ADC store and you're good to go!
 
I was thinking about using this and since the announcement of the 17" MBP, could someone tell me what the developer discount price is for this one (base price)? I haven't signed up for ADC yet but it would be nice to have a ball park idea of the discount on the pricing (it is usually more for higher priced items from what I understand).
 
So... When do they check to see if you're actually an ADC member? I can get all the way to checkout with the above link...
 
Arcygenical said:
So... When do they check to see if you're actually an ADC member? I can get all the way to checkout with the above link...
Thats exactly what I was thinking, I don't see anything about verifying that you are an ADC member.
 
the_COD said:
Thats exactly what I was thinking, I don't see anything about verifying that you are an ADC member.

You're sent an email after you order if you're not verified. Then they ask for verification, and if you do not fax something in, your order gets cancelled. Don't think that Apple is foolish enough to just let anybody through without verification, they have thought this through a bit more than that.
 
rockman1117 said:
You're sent an email after you order if you're not verified. Then they ask for verification, and if you do not fax something in, your order gets cancelled. Don't think that Apple is foolish enough to just let anybody through without verification, they have thought this through a bit more than that.
I never that Apple was that foolish to not verify, I was wondering when and how they verified.
 
If i'm in high school, do i qualify for adc?
its not clear from the website
 
Unless you're a registered developer (either the select or premium membership) then I dont think so. You can still apply for the select or premium ADC memberships, but the cheap "college" one is probably not going to happen.

Just go through the university discount store, get a friend's ID# if you must :).
 
Back
Top