ADATA SX6000 NVME 128GB

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Picked one of these up for £43 last week. As gear usually goes £1 to $1 that's the equivalent of probably getting it for $43.

I was looking for a small cheap SSD for cache and some software that creates a lot of small files etc. and this seemed a good buy.

Fitted it into a ASUS PCI-e adapter I had as my PM961 uses the motherboard one. Added a small Raspberry Pi heatsink to the controller as I noticed it runs a little hot. Sits at 41c in my machine.Thankfully ADATA add the warranty sticker to the other side (genius) also so you can add the spreader sticker they supply too (another nice touch).

I installed it first of all however in my GF's AMD3+ machine that is NVMe capable and the results were okay if nothing special. -

Then I installed it in my X99 rig and -

Quite an improvement! Not bad performance from a cheap 120GB SSD.

I'm happy with it!

Thanks for posting this. I was considering this drive as a companion to my upcoming HTPC refresh (which I intend to pair with the upcoming Ryzen 5 2400G plus ASRock X370 mini-ITX motherboard).
I wasn't sure what to think, but it looks like it'll be a good match. I think I'll take the plunge.

Yeah you are getting better than SATAIII performance for a low price. It's hard to tell in day to day use going beyond that.

I must add that I (over) over-provisioned it by 9.2GB (I usually leave 2-4GB un-partitioned on all my SSD) as I didn't need all that space so that might have helped the benchmarks a little.

Do you know how much was already over-provisioned?

Also, not bad results....normally these drives don't start to hit the 2GB mark until 500MB+ sizes

Picked one of these up for £43 last week. As gear usually goes £1 to $1 that's the equivalent of probably getting it for $43.

I was looking for a small cheap SSD for cache and some software that creates a lot of small files etc. and this seemed a good buy.

Fitted it into a ASUS PCI-e adapter I had as my PM961 uses the motherboard one. Added a small Raspberry Pi heatsink to the controller as I noticed it runs a little hot. Sits at 41c in my machine.Thankfully ADATA add the warranty sticker to the other side (genius) also so you can add the spreader sticker they supply too (another nice touch).

I installed it first of all however in my GF's AMD3+ machine that is NVMe capable and the results were okay if nothing special. -

Then I installed it in my X99 rig and -

Quite an improvement! Not bad performance from a cheap 120GB SSD.

I'm happy with it!

How do you enable this device, like readyboost in windows 10? Is this what you are doing? Any chance this will improve games with large maps?

How do you enable this device, like readyboost in windows 10? Is this what you are doing? Any chance this will improve games with large maps?

You just plug it into a capable PCI-e slot and power up your PC. Then enable the drive in Drive Management and you have another drive to use. It's not for Readyboost, that is totally obsolete.

It certainly will be better for games than a spinning rust drive.

Back