Adaptec or Areca

alemmons

n00b
I am looking at getting a raid card with the plan of running 6 Western Digital 640GB drives. I operate Windows XP, Vista, and Linux 64bit. I have narrowed it to the Areca 1220 and the Adaptec 5805. I like the cable management more on the adaptec, but I am not sure what the preferences are between these two cards. I haven't had much information on the Areca, but the Adaptec has been a little more elusive. Thanks for any help.

While I've got absolutely no experience with the Adaptec, I can say that that Areca is an awesome card.

Damn, after looking more closely at the Adaptec, I think it warrants some serious consideration. It does cost more....but I dunno.....

Do you want to pay an extra $100 for SAS support? Are you even going to use SAS?

Adaptec is super well known, and is very well supported by basically anything. Having said that, their products are known to be quirky and not always standard compliant. But like they say, you can't go wrong buying IBM.. you generally can't go wrong buying adaptec.

The SAS, extra memory, and processor are the main reasons I am considering the Adaptec. I don't know if I would ever use the SAS, but it is nice to have the option. I realize the memory and processor do not guarantee extra performance or faster boot times, thus my reason for looking for advice. It doesn't seem like many people have much experience with this specific controller.

Have you ever looked at the Adaptec 3805? Similar to the 5805, but less cache (128 vs 512 vs the Arecas 256). It only uses the x4 bus, vs the x8 on the other two cards...but I don't think 8 drives can push the bandwidth of a x4 bus anyway. I think you need over 10 drives to do that.

And to make matters even more confusing, take a look at the Areca 1222. Brand new SAS RAID card. :p

I'm also in the market for an 8 port RAID card right now...I was going to go with the ARC-1220 because I have experience with it and know it's good. But now (thanks mostly to you :p) I'm looking at other cards as well.

And then there is the rocketraid 3520 which uses the IOP341 and is pretty cheap comparitavely. I am not interested in Highpoint that much, but the use of the 341 chip interests me.

After having a Highpoint card kill 5 500GB drives (a year ago....when 500GB drives were still a little expensive) I will NEVER buy a Highpoint card.

Just as an aside, I've decided (once again) on the ARC1220. The 5805 is a nice card, but I have no real use for SAS at the moment, and therefore can not justify the extra cost. That and I know a few other people who love Areca cards.

I have done software RAID, built-in motherboard RAID with numerous chipsets, a couple Adaptec SCSI cards, and one Highpoint card. My final RAID setup was built on an Areca 1130 over a year ago. I have 5TB of RAID 6 that is heavily used and has never had any problems. I have expanded it, and I have lost drives, but I have never lost data. And the speed is fantastic!

I vote Areca

I won't buy and won't sell Adaptec. They've always been the low-end sham brand. Their electrical signaling still sucks, which is why they were "quirky." It's not quirky, it's cheap crap. To say nothing of the occurrence of array destroying bugs. The only decent Adaptecs were the ones IBM basically bought, redesigned, and told Adaptec exactly how to make - otherwise known as ServeRAID.

Those aren't even close, get the Areca

Please explain. I am considering the 5805 because of its speed and cache size (and read a few reviews about its performance, which looks stellar).

Please explain. I am considering the 5805 because of its speed and cache size (and read a few reviews about its performance, which looks stellar).
None of the Adaptec cards match the Areca ones in terms of cache size. I can't think of another RAID card that will take 4gb of RAM. While the Adaptec 5805 may be quite quick, with only 8 drives, the faster processor won't do that much. Only when you have quite a few more drives does it come into play (though it still helps with building/rebuilding the array). The new Areca 1680 series cards are no slouch and I would much rather have features like the out-of-band management. I've had my RAID card send me text messages to my phone when things went awry...quite neat.

I would go with the Adaptec card and I think Odditory would agree with me. I'm starting to scare away from the Areca due to the many stories I've head of the entire array dropping out (this made Odditory switch).

I run both and they are both great cards, I prefer the Adaptec since its been the smoothest ride so far and I've had no issues with Windows 2008 Server where I had a heck of a time with Areca.

None of the Adaptec cards match the Areca ones in terms of cache size. I can't think of another RAID card that will take 4gb of RAM. While the Adaptec 5805 may be quite quick, with only 8 drives, the faster processor won't do that much. Only when you have quite a few more drives does it come into play (though it still helps with building/rebuilding the array). The new Areca 1680 series cards are no slouch and I would much rather have features like the out-of-band management. I've had my RAID card send me text messages to my phone when things went awry...quite neat.

While the Adaptec may not have such a nice cache, the 4GB cache isn't going to help much for such an array. I noticed very little difference on my arrays on the Areca from jumping to 1 to 2GB Cache. (In Arecas defense, it did reduce disk scratching activity). It's great and I'm sure it has it's functions, but for a basic file server, I have not noticed performance that knocks my socks off. Also, keep in mind, the 4GB cache is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Out of band management is a nice feature, but not needed. You can always configure your system to send you notifications via text msg and remote in if needed (my servers have out of band management on them already, so this would be redundant).

Something worth mentioning, is that the Adaptec holds it's Battery Backup Unit (BBU) on the controller itself, whereas the Areca BBU requires an additional slot. It may be a non-issue, but it was a downer for me as I used all the slots.

just my 2 cents...my 3Ware 9650-8PLML or whatever is great (i have the battery backup / write cache thing...makes a HUGE dif)

I hope you guys are all still tracking this thread.I have some info and could really use input as well. I was running the Areca 1210 with 4 x 150 Raptors in Raid 0 with two Volumes- dual booting Vista 32 and 64. I used the new Vista Drivers from the Areca Website (storport V6,20.00.15 Build 80108) I am and still am running an Evga 790i Ultra with 4x2GB of Patriot Vipor C7 1600 DDR3, and the QX 9770. Was also running/ and tried with next set-up the 9800 GTX's. PSU is the Ultra X3 1600 Watt.

I sold the 4 raptors and Areca 1210 and upgraded to the Areca 1222 with 4 x 300 Velociraptors in a Raid 0 with two Volumes of 600, dual booting Vista 32 and 64. I swapped out the 9800's for two GTX 280 Evga's. Used the same Vista Drivers from Areca Website.

All install perfectly. No issues. Would run for days if wanted to let it set. When I installed the chipset and video drivers I ran into problems. Freezes after windows opened. About 5 -10 seconds in. I started with 15.17 and then back to what I had on first set up 9.64. That was better, but the video drivers- I started with 177.44 then 177.39 then 177.35. On the Vista 32 got some stability on 177.35, but not perfect.

nVidia has pulled its 15.17 and only lists the 9.64 has the nforce choice. They still say the 177.44, while Evga says use the 177.39.

I then got the Areca 1680 ix-12 and all the same issues.

I have an Adaptec 3805 sitting here and may give it a try, but first I am getting ready to run a Raid on two 150 Raptors to see if it is a Velociraptor compatibility issue.

I wanted the 5805 and will send the 3805 back even if it works because it is a MUCH better card and all they had in stock in a hurry right before the 4th was the 3805 and they wanted to give me something to work with over the holiday weekend. And believe me, this has been my holiday!!

Right now I have dual boots installed on the Velociraptors, but haven't added any drivers. All I have done is run updates for main issues. No outside drivers.

I also have dual boot set up on 2 x150 Raptors with no drivers, again just the updates.

Both of my Vistas are new with the SP1 included.

I have tried memory checks, hard disk checks, 1 stick 2 sticks....., 9800 GTX (i and 2 ) and GTX 280's (1 and 2). I have upped my voltages a bit on SPP to 1.4,1.45,1.5 and MCP 1.5 to 1.55. My CPU I have gone auto, then 1.3 1.35, 1.4. My memory Auto, linked-synced, linked-auto, 1.9 volts always. Enabled P1 and P2 and gone Auto. Ran BIOS P05 and now P06.

I have done it all!! But I am missing something. Maybe the 1222 or 1680 ix-12 isn't compatible, but why does it install and work and run and it is just the driver addition that causes the freezes?

I will report back when I try the Raptors and the Adaptec 3805 and put all the drivers in, but I want some input first before I procede.

This is a big post and a lot of work, and I highly recommend the Areca 1210. It was AWESOME. Maybe I should have just gone 1220, but I wanted 8 cards but also the new intel 349, 800 to 1.2Ghz speed, more cache 586 up to 4 GB, and the possibility of running a SAS HD.

So there you go. Have at it!! And thanks to anyone that can help!!

I hope you guys are all still tracking this thread.I have some info and could really use input as well. I was running the Areca 1210 with 4 x 150 Raptors in Raid 0 with two Volumes- dual booting Vista 32 and 64. I used the new Vista Drivers from the Areca Website (storport V6,20.00.15 Build 80108) I am and still am running an Evga 790i Ultra with 4x2GB of Patriot Vipor C7 1600 DDR3, and the QX 9770. Was also running/ and tried with next set-up the 9800 GTX's. PSU is the Ultra X3 1600 Watt.

I sold the 4 raptors and Areca 1210 and upgraded to the Areca 1222 with 4 x 300 Velociraptors in a Raid 0 with two Volumes of 600, dual booting Vista 32 and 64. I swapped out the 9800's for two GTX 280 Evga's. Used the same Vista Drivers from Areca Website.

All install perfectly. No issues. Would run for days if wanted to let it set. When I installed the chipset and video drivers I ran into problems. Freezes after windows opened. About 5 -10 seconds in. I started with 15.17 and then back to what I had on first set up 9.64. That was better, but the video drivers- I started with 177.44 then 177.39 then 177.35. On the Vista 32 got some stability on 177.35, but not perfect.

nVidia has pulled its 15.17 and only lists the 9.64 has the nforce choice. They still say the 177.44, while Evga says use the 177.39.

I then got the Areca 1680 ix-12 and all the same issues.

I have an Adaptec 3805 sitting here and may give it a try, but first I am getting ready to run a Raid on two 150 Raptors to see if it is a Velociraptor compatibility issue.

I wanted the 5805 and will send the 3805 back even if it works because it is a MUCH better card and all they had in stock in a hurry right before the 4th was the 3805 and they wanted to give me something to work with over the holiday weekend. And believe me, this has been my holiday!!

Right now I have dual boots installed on the Velociraptors, but haven't added any drivers. All I have done is run updates for main issues. No outside drivers.

I also have dual boot set up on 2 x150 Raptors with no drivers, again just the updates.

Both of my Vistas are new with the SP1 included.

I have tried memory checks, hard disk checks, 1 stick 2 sticks....., 9800 GTX (i and 2 ) and GTX 280's (1 and 2). I have upped my voltages a bit on SPP to 1.4,1.45,1.5 and MCP 1.5 to 1.55. My CPU I have gone auto, then 1.3 1.35, 1.4. My memory Auto, linked-synced, linked-auto, 1.9 volts always. Enabled P1 and P2 and gone Auto. Ran BIOS P05 and now P06.

I have done it all!! But I am missing something. Maybe the 1222 or 1680 ix-12 isn't compatible, but why does it install and work and run and it is just the driver addition that causes the freezes?

I will report back when I try the Raptors and the Adaptec 3805 and put all the drivers in, but I want some input first before I procede.

This is a big post and a lot of work, and I highly recommend the Areca 1210. It was AWESOME. Maybe I should have just gone 1220, but I wanted 8 cards but also the new intel 349, 800 to 1.2Ghz speed, more cache 586 up to 4 GB, and the possibility of running a SAS HD.

So there you go. Have at it!! And thanks to anyone that can help!!

Back