I have an Adaptec 39160, and its data rate suddenly went from 80 MBps to 40MBps when I added a second, but identical drive on channel A.
Of course, I have checked all the usual suspects, including making sure jumper settings on the two drives match (except for SCSI ID), and even restoring the 39160 to its factory defaults, but came up with no discovery (except that one of my SCA interface adapters was faulty, and I replaced that, but without improvement beyond 40 MBps). Termination is not an option on this drive, so I use a passive terminator at cable's far end, and auto-termination at the adapter end.
What puzzles me is the adapter easily took the original installation of a single IBM DNES 318350 (17gb) drive on channel A as an SE device and ran it happily at the drive's max speed of 80 MBps, so this seems to be an adapter logic issue, not a true hardware limit.
This is a new Dell / Adaptec unit, sold in white box without the colorful Adaptec retail box, which means I provide my own troubleshooting whenever I can . But I am nearly out of bullets, unless I concede that putting two identical drives on the same channel and watching their data rate drop to 40MBps is "normal" for this configuration.
Yes, I can use the second channel for the other drive, but nothing in the Adaptec literature suggests I must use one drive per channel to obtain maximum data rate on each drive.
Put another way, the big question is whether available channel MBps bandwidth is divided among all devices on that channel. In the terms of bandwidth, alone, this certainly makes sense. But if adding more devices progressively reduces the data rate, this makes little sense for the typical enterprise installation of many drives, if every machine with three or more drives on the channel must slow to a crawl.
BTW, when I discovered the 40 MBps speed limit on adding the second drive, I immediately removed the second drive, hoping to revert to the previously reported 80MBps, but the first drive-- now alone on the channel-- has remained at 40 MBps despite all efforts, including returning the adapter to factory defaults.
Of course, I have checked all the usual suspects, including making sure jumper settings on the two drives match (except for SCSI ID), and even restoring the 39160 to its factory defaults, but came up with no discovery (except that one of my SCA interface adapters was faulty, and I replaced that, but without improvement beyond 40 MBps). Termination is not an option on this drive, so I use a passive terminator at cable's far end, and auto-termination at the adapter end.
What puzzles me is the adapter easily took the original installation of a single IBM DNES 318350 (17gb) drive on channel A as an SE device and ran it happily at the drive's max speed of 80 MBps, so this seems to be an adapter logic issue, not a true hardware limit.
This is a new Dell / Adaptec unit, sold in white box without the colorful Adaptec retail box, which means I provide my own troubleshooting whenever I can . But I am nearly out of bullets, unless I concede that putting two identical drives on the same channel and watching their data rate drop to 40MBps is "normal" for this configuration.
Yes, I can use the second channel for the other drive, but nothing in the Adaptec literature suggests I must use one drive per channel to obtain maximum data rate on each drive.
Put another way, the big question is whether available channel MBps bandwidth is divided among all devices on that channel. In the terms of bandwidth, alone, this certainly makes sense. But if adding more devices progressively reduces the data rate, this makes little sense for the typical enterprise installation of many drives, if every machine with three or more drives on the channel must slow to a crawl.
BTW, when I discovered the 40 MBps speed limit on adding the second drive, I immediately removed the second drive, hoping to revert to the previously reported 80MBps, but the first drive-- now alone on the channel-- has remained at 40 MBps despite all efforts, including returning the adapter to factory defaults.