AD Prep / Forest Prep and Child Domains

Jay_2

2[H]4U
We have a single child domain (1 2003 R2 DC) that we can not touch (dont ask why!) and I need to upgrade our AD schema from 2003 R2 to 2008 R2. I am assuming that I start withthe Domain Schema Master and Infrastructure Master servers in the root domain before I touch the child domain? Also I have been told I may not be allowed to change the child domain at all so what kind of issues will this cause?

Thanks.

Complete forest has to be upgraded to 2008 R2 funtionality. Can't be mixed. So if you can't do that child domain you can't do the forest.

what a pain!

Am I right in assuming that I start with the root DCs then move to the child domain DC?

The order doesn't matter. You can have Domain functional levels be 2008 R2 independent of the Forest functional levels.

I am not changing the fuction levels as such I am extending the schema so I can add 2008 R2 DCs into our 2003 R2 domain.

I thought that if I didn't run the ADPrep on the child domain I simply just couldn't add a 2008 R2 DC to the child domain, but if I need to extend the child domains schema to add 2008 R2 DCs to the root domain thats going to be an issue.

Back