ActiveX Control issue

tfarre2

n00b
I'm not working on my computer, it's a friend's. Installing another browser is NOT an option. I'm trying to run Windows Updates or log into any secure web site. Every single time I get this error...

Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly.

I've read everywhere that it involves reseting and changing security options in internet tools. OK....that does NOT work. I've changed everything to prompts and it still doesn't work. That is not the problem on this machine. I've ran SpyBot, Ad-aware, and Spyware Blaster and removed any problems from spyware. Then I ran a program called lsp-fix that goes through and resets all IE settings. Great little program by the way. None of this has worked on this machine. It's running WinXP Pro w/ SP1. I suppose going to SP2 might fix it, but I don't want to attempt that. The latest Norton Corporate Antivirus is on here and updated as well. I've unchecked IE in Add/Remove Windows Components and "uninstalled" it. Restarted, then reinstalled it and still a no go.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Just remember, formatting and a new browser are not options.....and I've already got automatic updates set up so I still need to access secure web sites (ie ones with user name and password)

I had this problem earlier when formatting my step sons machine.

Installing SP2 fixed the problem, might wanna give it a shot.

Back