Active Speakers for TV

mda

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I'm shopping around for a good audio upgrade for the tinny TV speakers on our 60" 1080p TV.

Right now, I have a 20$ pair of computer speakers hooked up to the AUX 3.5 out of the TV (no optical or RCA outs on the TV)

For regular standard definition or lower (mono/stereo), the audio is fine -- matches the crappy video quality anyway.

But when I move up to DVDs of movies or something, the audio is sometimes muffled. I can hear explosions loud but the voice can get inaudible.

I'd like to seek your recommendations on a set of active bookshelf speakers (won't go the passive route due to space constraints) that won't break the bank.

My set of flexible 'requirements'

1. Lots of input options. I'd like these to be able to double as big computer or living room speakers. A 3.5 input is a must, though. Optical and bluetooth are great. RCA is nice too.
2. Smooth sound. I'm not going for clinical accuracy, but accurate after 'nice sounding'
3. Option for adding a separate subwoofer down the line is a very big plus. I've heard that this is a must on home sound systems.
4. Won't break the bank.

I was looking at a set of Audioengines, either the A5+ or the HD6. Obviously the HD6 is more expensive but comes with a whole bunch of input options the A5+ doesn't have. I've read on the reviews that the HD6 is marginally better sounding as well. Looking at the price though, it seems like the price of the HD6s may be the absolute max I'd like to go though. (<800$, but <500$ would be even better)

Should there be any other brands and models I'd need to look at?

Note to the audiophiles: this post is coming from someone who has used said 20$ speakers for most of his existence and thinks that a 100$ pair of Sennheiser HD439s sound good...

Just looking for the best bang for the buck upgrade.

Hoping to hear your opinions on this... Thanks!

TLDR:
Need opinion on good sounding active speakers.
More input options, the better. Capability for future sub upgrade preferable.
<800$ would be good, but <500$ would be great
How are the Audioengine A5+ and HD6s?
I'm not an audiophile so my expectations are low.

Buy, and buy now.

WIll takes inputs from anything, even the preferred optical out your TV probably has and has a really good remote. Hell they even have Bluetooth for your phone. Depending on the size of your room, you won't even need a sub. Idealy you'd run HDMI devices into your TV then optical out of the TV to these speakers and they'd take over audio duty for everything playing on the TV.

So happy you're not looking at a soundbar as these will blow any of them out of the water.

If you want to stretch the budget a bit more, you can get matching stands.

If you have 40 minutes, this guy can tell you why they're perfect for a simple living room setup. I actually have the Swan's he's comparing them to on my desk right now but, as you'll see in the video, they're not suited for living room duty as they only have a single analog input and no remote.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. Will take a look at if I can find that model locally. I can have it shipped from the USA since that seems like a nice price (will add about 40$) but I don't know if that thing can do 220-240 volts (Will do some more research later if it's an autovolt model).

I heard a soundbar... it's a very big upgrade over a stock TV speakers but not really what I'm looking for in terms of visual clarity.

Thanks for the link, I'll watch it during my lunchbreak today ;)

For the record, from the pictures, it looks like they accept 100-240V input.

Goodie! Thanks for the info and the help so far! Any idea on how these compare to the Audioengines? These and some KEFs I'm 100% sure are available locally. Am looking for opinions on how they sound as I've heard the KEFs at the store (and have heard the desktop EGG speakers which are actually in my opinion sound quite nice)

Last edited:
All I can say about the A5+'s is they don't seem to have a remote which unless they're on your desk, I don't see that being convenient at all. For a living room setup, you really kind of want one. Having to stand up and walk to the speakers to adjust the volume doesn't sound fun when you're on the couch. They also don't seem to accept a digital input for a TV. I suppose you could use the analog input from the TV but.. eh. As for KEF, they make great speakers. Their passive LS50's are their posterchild right now, everyone seems to be getting a set but which models are you referring to? Are they powered with a digital input and a remote for living room use?

Last edited:
The A5+s and the HD6s I've seen locally. The A2+s and the HD3s seem to small for a TV set. The A5+ being sold locally comes with a remote, although from the quick read I've done, the remotes are hard to come by in the USA or come separately. I agree about the digital input though, which is why the HD6s are also on the table, but the price difference is almost double the Edifiers you linked. Our present TV only comes with 3.5mm outs, but I suppose that the speakers I pick up will have way more flexibility with more input options. Am I right to expect a decent set of speakers to last 10-15 years?

The X300A (wired/wireless) seem like the set that may match since most of the other KEFs are passive speakers. The LS50s have a pair of active speaker variants but based on a quick check, I think these are waaaaaaaaaaay over what I'm willing to pay for right now.

Just looked at their offerings for powered stuff and they DO offer the LS50 Wireless version but.. they're $2100. The X300A's are ~$1000.

Now, the EGG's from KEF are $500, have an optical input AND a remote so I suppose that's an option but.. its a strange design. If those are what you're looking at, you're OK with the price and sound and you can get them locally, I'm sure you'll be happy. I'd wager that the Edifiers are still better bang for your buck with the stands.

Just looked at their offerings for powered stuff and they DO offer the LS50 Wireless version but.. they're $2100. The X300A's are ~$1000.

Now, the EGG's from KEF are $500, have an optical input AND a remote so I suppose that's an option but.. its a strange design. If those are what you're looking at, you're OK with the price and sound and you can get them locally, I'm sure you'll be happy. I'd wager that the Edifiers are still better bang for your buck with the stands.

A family member actually has the EGG 2.0s and the sound is actually nice but the cable between speakers are just about 6 feet long and is proprietary. No go for the TV since the TV is longer than that (putting these expensive things on the floor is not an option!)

Also thinking the Edifiers are the better buy at this point especially if the AE HD6s won't sound 2x as good, and if the baseline for the Edifiers is actually quite high already.

Edit: Got off the chat with our local edifier distributor... this model isn't available. I'm still all for shipping it from the USA, though, but not sure if DOAs will be a problem.

Hmm.. I bet those HD6's sound great. I know you said the top end of your budget was $800 but I agree, even with importing costs I can't imagine you'd be THAT much happier with them over the Edifiers. Shame you can't get them locally. That was probably a point you should have made in your original post LOL

Yeah, I'm actually willing to import via amazon as we have a few freight forwarders that do this. I had a DOA a while back with a powerline adapter from Amazon a while back and it was easy to return for a refund via air freight/DHL...

What I failed to realize before writing the original post was that shipping the thing here and possibly back within the return window via air is downright cost prohibitive for a pair of speakers that weigh a ton... :dead:

If you get normal sound on regular SD but muffled sound on HD - the reason may be that your TV has problems converting dolby multichannel down to stereo. In some cases you get a big improvement just by installing a properly configured AV amplifier between your tv and stereo speakers. Then you can add actual surround channels when you can afford it.

You can feed the amp through a HDMI out that has ARC (Audio Return Channel) even if you use the built in apps of the TV to watch content.

I don't think my TV has ARC built in.

Is the SMSL any good? Pricewise, the combo doesn't seem bad...

It's an earlier model samsung we got on sale back a few years ago... Now I think I know why.

I don't think my TV has ARC built in.

Is the SMSL any good? Pricewise, the combo doesn't seem bad...

It's an earlier model samsung we got on sale back a few years ago... Now I think I know why.

AFAIK most large tv:s have ARC. Consult your manual. You may find it even in the source menu, at least on my 65" Sony clearly marks which HDMI has arc.

Thanks, but it doesn't seem like it does...

This is the page for the TV... the Manual doesn't seem to indicate anything about it either.

I think I'm SOL WRT to ARC on this current TV. Don't think I can/will dispose of it anytime soon though.

I suppose I can try playing with the equalizer to raise the mids.

Last edited:
If you get normal sound on regular SD but muffled sound on HD - the reason may be that your TV has problems converting dolby multichannel down to stereo. In some cases you get a big improvement just by installing a properly configured AV amplifier between your tv and stereo speakers. Then you can add actual surround channels when you can afford it.

You can feed the amp through a HDMI out that has ARC (Audio Return Channel) even if you use the built in apps of the TV to watch content.

This is probably the cause. Since you aren't looking for audiophile sound but just want something decent I'd look for an entry level receiver and start with 2 speakers for the front. If you want more in the future you could always add rears, center and a sub.

Onkyo makes great value receiver imo. I think you'd be happy with a Onkyo TX-SR373 5.2 receiver and for speakers maybe some medium to larger size tower style speakers if you have room for them.
Dayton audio T654-air are inexpensive and should be hard to beat for the price. I haven't heard this specific combo but my dad has a previous model of that receiver with similar dayton audio tower (older model, different tweeter only) and its pretty good for the price (receiver + speakers are $325 on amazon.com not sure how bad the shipping would be tho). This is just a quick recommendation based on what I've heard at my dad's place but there are LOTS of possibility ...

For audio I also like to buy used because you can get so much more for your money, so maybe keep that in mind and have a look at what is available in your area.

If you are set on active speaker they'll work just fine too but if you later decide that you want more after discovering what better audio can do for movies/tv show then you wont be able to upgrade while still using the active speakers.

Deeper down the rabbit hole I go...

Looking at an entry level receiver and some passives instead... Even without having read xmadror's post above (read it as I was typing this up).

I figured that if I was going for a big heavy active speaker set, then a receiver isn't out of the question anyway.

A sub/mid bass speaker. I think you should have some Valve stuff really, Everything SS always sounds like a more lo-fi receiver and or a Stereo.

I would normally recommend the Emotiva Airmotiv 4, 5, or 6 but Emotiva is in the process of updating that line and only have the 6 and Stealth 8 in stock at the moment. If you are looking at the Audioengine A5+ then the Airmotiv 5 would be the equivalent but with better power output and AMT tweeter. They only have XLR and RCA input and no volume controls, so a simple stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable plus a power strip with on/off switch on it to keep from having to reach around and turn the speakers off. The Airmotiv 6 that are currently in stock are $700 a pair but are a bit large for a normal desktop PC setup. They are powered with 100 watts to the AMT tweeter and 110 watts to the 6.5" woofer for a total of 210 watts per speaker. The Airmotiv 5 are smaller and have 5.25" drivers. They are powered at 50w+50w ( 100w total per speaker ) and retail at $500. Also take a look at the JBL LSR305 or just hit a local Guitar Center for a ton of options on Powered Studio Monitors.

https://emotiva.com/collections/powered-monitors/products/airmotiv-6s

glad to see you are thinking about receiver and passives! an $800 budget will definitely get you something quite good. like xmadror said Onkyo is quite good for budget receivers, depending of what deals you can find you might be able to find an entry level Denon or Marantz as well, both brands are well respected (same parent company so rebranding going around between the two). as for speakers depends if you are looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 setup (2.1 may stretch your budget really thin), there are so many options and a lot of it is personal. if there is a local store you can listen to various speakers to that would be much better

Back