Active PFC and Stability

IdiotInCharge

NVIDIA SHILL
I did a quick search to prevent repetition, hopefully did a good job.

After reading a certain Firingsquad article (which I cannot access at this console), I decided to go out of my way with my next system build in order to make it as STABLE as possible; taking an extra step when needed. Notice the results in my sig.

Here's my question, after finding some rather intelligently written articles and blurbs on Active PFC in my query, I would like to ask a question that I haven't seen asked or answered yet- how does Active PFC really relate to stability? My argument for at least a loose relationship is based on the idea that good system stability comes with good components and good power being fed to them. Focusing on power, and the soncep that Active PFC improves the sinusoidal nature of the power coming into the system, would this not benefit the system in terms of stability? What I'm looking for is opinions and facts (if they can be backed up) on whether or not this really matters. I understand that one owuld be erring on the side of caution in this case, but, why not? Sparkle and Fortron PSU's are inexpensive and build like rocks (both physically and electrically speaking), and can be had with Active PFC. Thoughts, comments?

Active PFC is not necessary if you're just running a few computers..... The strain of not having PFC is put on the power supply itself. Since the power supply puts out DC power anyway, which is only sinusoidal in the ripple current, the problem doesn't really get through to the computer. I'm sure you'll find lots of people that love APFC, but I think you'll find most people saying that it's not a huge deal right now. But if you can get it for not much more money, I say go for it.

Active PFC will not affect how stable your computer is, unless somehow the PFC circuit completely fucks up and isn't delivering a correct voltage to the rest of the power supply. Active PFC circuits are so easy to implement (inductor, diode, mosfet, control chip, couple of resistors) that it's practically impossible for even cheap manufacturers to fuck one up.

If you've got a stable computer which an "active PFC" power supply renders unstable, then it's a 99% chance that the "power supply" part of the power supply is to blame.

Back