Active Directory + LAMP Server?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
All right, here's the deal:

Right now I'm running a small Linux box with Clarkconnect as my router/firewall. It handles the usual firewall, DNS, DHCP, etc. operations, and also has my LAMP server on it to run my website from.

I need to get an AD controller in my house for some software testing. I've got Server 2003 licenses as part of my MSDN and all that, so no biggie there.

To the best of my knowledge, doesn't Active Directory prefer to do all of the network tasks such as DNS, DHCP, etc. I'm not to keen on all this networking - this will also be a learning experience. So how will AD play with my Clarkconnect gateway? I heavily use the DHCP functionality on my CC box for bandwidth management, so how will all that work with AD monopolizing DHCP and DNS functionality?

How much work am I looking at to get this up and running. And please forgive my ignorance - remember that I'm learning this as I go.

DNS is really the only thing you will have to run on your Server 2003 system.

I thought that AD had to run DHCP? :confused:

You are getting things confused. AD requires DNS. It doesn't have to be Windows DNS, but using the Windows version give you some advantages. As far as DHCP is concerned, it's never required. Windows DHCP can do dynamic DNS registration if you clients don't support it. If you have anything newer than Windows 98, then your client supports it.

You will be fine. Just kill it in W2k3. You only need one DNS server.

AD is LDAP. LDAP NEEDS DNS to perform correctly, I mean it won't work without it.

If your clark box is running DNS, you probably do not need to promote your AD environment (Server 2003) to a primary domain controller so you should be fine. And no, you do not have to run DNS from the Win box.

Back