Active Directory hosting user accounts

dasoldier

Limp Gawd
I've become pretty familiar with the active directory as far as adding users and implementing a descent group policy for different departments. Now I am wondering how would I go about hosting the users account settings (profile) so that it comes directly from the win2k3 server? In other words the user can change whatever settings they desire and this follows them computer to computer since it is based on the user.

I hope that makes sense.

You want roaming profiles then.

Make a share on a file server somewhere, and then in the user's account settings specify that location as their profile location.

Like \\servername\Profiles\%username% , where servername is your server (obviously) and Profiles is the sharename you created,

(%username% expands to the login name, so you dont have to type it)

Thanks for the response, if I join a linux machine to the domain can it host my profiles? I would think so, but just thought I would verify with someone who knows!

Thanks again

dasoldier said:
Thanks for the response, if I join a linux machine to the domain can it host my profiles? I would think so, but just thought I would verify with someone who knows!

Thanks again

My first response off the cuff would be No, it won't...

I don't have much experience in using linux with a Windows Domain. I know there are ways to auth against AD/LDAP, SMB, etc... and ways to host home directories.

I'm sure you could host your home directory for your linux users on the windows server, which in essence is the user profile for linux users.

I'm just not the guy to ask on how to set it all up :)

Any takers?

Back