Active Directory help

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

I am screwing around with Active Directory because I have a free copy of Windows Server 2003 that I got from school and I wanted to see how I can get it working.

I have enabled the following roles:

File Server (a few simple windows shares)
Domain Controller
DNS Server
DHCP Server

In Active Directory, I made a user account for myself, and made it a member of Administrators. The problem I am having is that I cannot install or uninstall programs on my desktop (not the server, on the server I have no problem doing administrator tasks).

On the desktop, if I go to User Accounts, I can change the account type to the group Administrators, so I did, and I still have the same problem.

Anyone know if there is a reason why this is happening? By the way, I am using Windows 7 on my desktop, and am using Windows Server 03 R2 on my server (which is an Atom 330).

Hey all,

I am screwing around with Active Directory because I have a free copy of Windows Server 2003 that I got from school and I wanted to see how I can get it working.

I have enabled the following roles:

File Server (a few simple windows shares)
Domain Controller
DNS Server
DHCP Server

In Active Directory, I made a user account for myself, and made it a member of Administrators. The problem I am having is that I cannot install or uninstall programs on my desktop (not the server, on the server I have no problem doing administrator tasks).

On the desktop, if I go to User Accounts, I can change the account type to the group Administrators, so I did, and I still have the same problem.

Anyone know if there is a reason why this is happening? By the way, I am using Windows 7 on my desktop, and am using Windows Server 03 R2 on my server (which is an Atom 330).

Evidently I spoke just too soon.

You have to be part of the Domain Admins group, which I did not do.

You want to add your domain user account to the local Administrators group of the workstation.

you do not want to be domain admin. you can make yourself just a plain user.

you want to log into the workstation as either the local admin or the domain admin, and add the users to the local administrator group in the machine (Right click My Computer > Manage > Users/Groups > Groups > Administrator > add your self and users.

I did that. I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop so maybe the process is somewhat different? I clicked change account type and selected Administrator. I'll try it again in the future, Windows Server 03 kinda took a crap (my fault) and I'm going to see if Server 08 works out better since I lost the CD that 03 is on.

I did that. I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop so maybe the process is somewhat different? I clicked change account type and selected Administrator. I'll try it again in the future, Windows Server 03 kinda took a crap (my fault) and I'm going to see if Server 08 works out better since I lost the CD that 03 is on.

You are in the normal user control panel which only shows local accounts. You either want to get tot the user accounts by going through computer managment s you access the group and their memeberships, or you want to launch the advanced user control panel. For either Vista or Windows 7, you can launch the advanced user control panel by running "control userpasswords2" at a command line running with administrative rights.

As to whether the DC is running 2k3 or 2k8, it doesn't matter. This is a part of the Windows security scheme that hasn't changed since the NT 3.51 domain model.

You may need to add that your local account (domain\your user name) has administrative privileges on the machine. For example log onto the machine as the domain admin (domain\administrator) then go to the users and add a new (domain\your user name) then click for this to be a local administrator.

start > right click on my computer > manage > under system tools > select local users and groups > select groups > select administrators > add your domain login

Thanks. I stopped using Windows Server 2003 because of some serious degradation of performance on the network. I think there were some protocols that were getting out of hand. There were some driver support issues as well that I did not like. So now I"m on Server 2008 and got rid of the domain, however I may go back.

I enabled roaming profiles, however I don't think it's worth it, especially considering the close proximity and the fact that I am doing it mostly as an exercise. Logging in and out became extremely slow.

thats probably because you didn't set it up properly =p

roaming profiles wont work unless your on a domain.

start > right click on my computer > manage > under system tools > select local users and groups > select groups > select administrators > add your domain login

& thats how you add yourself as a local administrator to your worksation in windows 7

thats probably because you didn't set it up properly =p

roaming profiles wont work unless your on a domain.

Indeed very possible.

And yeah, I did have it set up in a domain at the time. Worked fine for about 12 hours, but then afterwards the network was unbearably slow.

Back