Active Directory (2008R2) and Workstation Profiles

The Donut

2[H]4U
Hey,

I've just been given the ask of settup up a local AD domain on our small office server.

Everything is setup and running; users can log on, etc etc.

However, all of our existing users that are setup on their Vista/7 workstations have a plethora of Firefox extensions, little tidbits in their docs, email config, etc that they cannot afford to lose nor spend the time to setup again.

Of course, when they log on the users that I have configured - they're greeted with a new profile and relatively sparse desktop and no application settings.

Is there any easy way for me to copy their existing profiles so that when they logon to the domain everything is the same?

As you can tell; i'm relatively new to this.

try out the ForensIT User Profile Wizard

it's a freebie tool, and it has the ability to associate a local profile with a domain account.

alternatively, although I haven't tried it on Vista or 7, if you bring up the User Profiles on the workstation, you should be able to copy the computername\useracct profile to their domain\useracct profile folder.

alternatively, although I haven't tried it on Vista or 7, if you bring up the User Profiles on the workstation, you should be able to copy the computername\useracct profile to their domain\useracct profile folder.

This would be my recommendation as well, depending on number of users I suppose. I haven't tried in Vista/7 either, but when you do this - make sure you do it from a different user account (administrator etc...) and do it after a clean boot, if the user has logged in since the workstation was booted, certain files will be locked even after logout, so just reboot and then do the copy.

It does work with Windows 7. I used this just the other day to setup my profiles. I used the free version tho.

Back