servers are (DC1) and (SVmail) and they both are domain controllers
running active directory 2000. What we want to do is deactivate these
two servers and move the active directory services onto one of the
windows 2003 servers (SVGraphics).

Originally SVMail had Exchange 2000 on it but we upgraded to exchange
03' I beleive and moved exchange off of that server and on to
(SVProject). So now the only thing that SVMail does is act as a domain
controller. As far as DC1 goes basically the only thing left on that
server is the domain controller as well.

We have about 50 user in active directory currently.

What I need help with is the steps I should take to do this migration
off of DC1 and SVMail on to SVGraphics.
Step by step processes would be best but at this point I will
take what ever advice is offered.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Thanks,
Chandler

I recently did a similar upgrade from 2 2000 AD servers to 2 2003 AD servers.

How things were done:

#1 2003 server was built

Brought up to date on all MS patches.

Added to the domain

It was given a static IP address.

DNS and WINS were installed.

Then I used DCPROMO to make it an Active Directory Controller.

As part of being promoted to a domain controller, DNS was fully replicated from the current AD. After I verified that all the DNS settings were the same on the new 2003 server and the old 2000 server.

Next, the #2 2003 server was built and promoted to controller status as well

When #2 2003 was completed I installed DHCP and following Microsoft's instructions, I exported the DHCP information from the old 2000 server that was running DHCP to the new #2 2003 server. I activated the DHCP scope on #2 and deactivated it on the old server.

Using Active Directory Users and Computers I made #1 the PDC Emulator, the RID Master and the Infrastructure Master. Using the utility NTDSUTIL I transferred the roles of Schema Master and Domain Naming Master from 2000 server to #1.

I then verified that both #1 and #2 2003 were processing logins for domain accounts and that they were both replicating ALL data. This has been verified with the utility DCDIAG.

We also ran tests with the old 2000 servers off-line and domain functions carried on without a single problem.

When I was confident that the new servers were functioning properly I used DCPROMO to demote the old 2000 servers. Then I was also able to upgrade the functional level of the active directory from 2000 to 2003.

As far as you Exchange server info, I would think you would want to get Exchange running on a newer 2003 server, whether one of your AD controllers or not, and then move the mailboxes over to the new one. I would do this BEFORE I did anything with the new controllers.

While not 100% concise, I hope this helps you.

Thanks for the advice, I will give this a shot and see how it works out.

I am curious though when you said "I installed DHCP and following Microsoft's instructions" do you have a link to the instructions that you followed?

-Thanks
Chad

Well I tried what was posted above and got an error. I did some reseach and found out that it has something to do with FSMO and the fact that is isn't currently running/working.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can better diagnose this issues and fix it so I can continue my Domain Controller migration?

-Chad

Well I tried what was posted above and got an error. I did some reseach and found out that it has something to do with FSMO and the fact that is isn't currently running/working.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I can better diagnose this issues and fix it so I can continue my Domain Controller migration?

-Chad

What was the error that you got? Post it in entirety.

Back