• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Active cooling on NF4: is it necessary?

Ajax

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 9, 2004
Messages
65
This may apply to the Via chipsets for the Athlon64 as well, but is it necessary to have a fan on the NF4 chipset? How hot do they really get?

I'm really tired of tiny and loud chipset fans. They drive me nuts and I really dont think they serve any purpose in the case of the NF4. The memory controller is no longer part of the chipset so how hot does this thing really get? Does it run cool enough to run a HS w/o a fan?

Anyone have any opinions?
 
They get very hot with a passive thermal solution, ie. the Zalman NB47J. Doable, but make sure you have lots of airflow around the heatsink.
 
I'll give you an example of how hot they can really get. I had a wire accidently get stuck in the fan blade on an MSI K8N Neo4, it wasn't on for more then a few minutes and I could smell burning. I think it was the TIM but it could have been the plastic fan part. I couldn't touch it it was so hot, removed the wire, all was good. If I had turned my system on and left, I probably could have fried the board or worse, my computer/house. Cool those MOFO's!
 
Nforce chipsets are single chip solutions. There's a lot more going on in it then other chipsets, thus the heat.
 
thanks for the responses and the links. Had I realized how hot the NF4 chipset got, I would've WCed it along with everything else.
Oh well. I can add it later but for now I'll grab one of the swiftech coolers and call it a day.
 
Back
Top