Activating Windows....blank window!!!!!

lesman

2[H]4U
Hi folks, I recently had to do a reinstall. The problem that lead me to reinstall was when I tried to logon it said that the logon.exe (or whatever it was called) was missing and the then something or other about the gui missing....SO...I hooked up the hard drive to my in laws computer to get all my important data off of it, then used my Emachines restore DVD to restore Windows XP home. Evrything goes fine and dandy, I go to Windows update to do what one does there, download the new installers, etc etc etc, restart and then go back to windows update to get all the updates. The Windows activation icon pops up in the notification area in the taskbar and says I have 30 days to activate it. Now with this, I can't install the updates, first I must activate Windows...fine and dandy, except when I click the damn activation icon, the only thing that happens is the window pops up like it would, but then nothing else happns. I get no buttons, no options, nothing. The HDD light isn't even active...it's like it just stops. Everything else works, I can even close the activation window....what the hell is going on here? I need to get back on my feet and get things running, and I dont wanna reinstall programs, etc only to have to do it again! I contacted MS about this just a few minutes ago, and am awaiting them to respond....but I'm coming to you guys just to see if you have any suggestions about what is wrong, or if theres another way to activate it! Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bumping so early, but I really need some sort of advice as to why activation window isnt popping up! could it be because I installed those updates before I even saw te activation thing?

so you get a blue window with nothing in it?

what does start -> run -> cmd
%windir%\system32\msoobe.exe /a
do?

Ranma_Sao said:
so you get a blue window with nothing in it?

what does start -> run -> cmd
%windir%\system32\msoobe.exe /a
do?
The exact same thing. The Window background is blue, in the upper right hand part there is a windows logo, and on the mid-right there's a large picture of a set of keys. I think I'm just going to get a new computer...and it aint gonna be a damn emachines, I've had restore issues with this thing from the start. I've done one restore on it so far, this was due to me installing SP2 and then the computer hanging no mater how I sarted it after the SP2 install. Then I did restore, and then on the part where you name your computer, it would just hang after I click "ok"....so I had to boot into VGA mode and use the "backdoor" method (as the emachines tech called it). So this time I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine...but now the activation window hangs....and I've restored it again to see if anything's different...but, NOPE... :( I should probably just get a new computer...besides, I need to get rid of this non-AGP mobo with support for only Celeron processors anyway....I've configured a computer on a site that comes to $618 (w/out monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc, as I already have that stuff). Well, I'm sick of this, so I think I'll just get something new...wish me luck! :rolleyes:

Back