acrylic conductive?

so apparently i bought some acrylic and later found out on the website that it's conductive. I don't understand how a piece of plastic could be conductive, but i was wondering if anybody had any problems with the conductivity of acrylic when making a torture rack

Colored or clear acrylic? I do know it can retain a static charge, but I thought it had insulating properties??

It's pretty hard to make a plastic conductive. You'd have to include carbon or metallic materials to acrylic to make it so. You can test the acrylic with a simple VOM - just check the resistance.

Must be the UV protection or the Mirror Properties that make it Conductive, not as if you can sent voltage through it, but enough where you can feel a slight magnetic charge as if it was on a balloon that you rubed into the carpet.

Why not use a plain acrylic sheet rather than that coated Optix stuff? You could also use polycarbonate, which would be tougher than acrylic and non-conducting unless you find one with a similar kind of coating. You could also use Vivak or similar plastics.

If you're using plain uncoated acrylic, it won't be conductive. However, it could build up a static charge, so you probably shouldn't keep any exposed contact points touching it.

If you're still worried, you could always test it for conductivity with a multimeter. I'd be very surprised if it actually did conduct though, considering plastic is a pretty excellent insulator.

Back