Acronis True Image

I have a question about using acronis true image. If I create a second partition and make an image of my hd on that partition, how do I protect it from becoming infected or corrupted? Does it automatically have protection from being a partition? Is there like a lock or a read-only thing? Thanks in advance.

Is there a specific reason you want to put the image on a separate partition but (I'm assuming) on the same drive? For backup purposes, you should put the image on a different physical drive in case the original crashes.

TrueImage creates an image as a single .tib file which you can mount as a drive (it will appear in Windows as another partition would). The .tib file is compressed and (optionally) password-protected, so as long as you are not using the image and it is not mounted, infection of its individual files shouldn't be a problem. You could mark it as read-only, but a virus etc. will still be able to delete the image.

Bottom line is, if you want to be safe from anything, keep the backup on another drive that is not connected to your computer (and to be super-safe, offsite).

Phixt is quite right. Creating an image of your partition on the same physical disk is a really half-assed backup. If you don't have a spare disk, True Image does support backups to CDs and DVDs. No matter what you might try in terms of software to protect your image, a physical failure on the hard drive is going to screw you over completely.

I have a 200GB hard drive in a USB enclosure that I use to store full backups of both of my computers using True Image and it has been working great for months.

I was thinking of creating something like a dell or compaq system restore partition. I just looked at some more options on true image and created a secure zone for my recovery tib. There's nothing special on it, just barebones winxp with updates and such so I can just recover it easily without having to hassle with installing it all again when I format. I know its not the most secure way but I don't have an external hard drive or anything. I'll stick to it for right now. I've used several partition programs that show the secure zone as a fat32 partition. I thought it should be hidden??? Hopefully no viruses can delete it.

I am having a problem but I don't know if it is acronis related or not. I was reinstalling winxp and saw my acronis partition as well as my main partition. I deleted both of them and just set xp to install on the total unpartitioned space. I got a BSOD when it tried to format ntfs. After restarting and trying again I would get BSOD again, either before or after the partition screen appears. The errors have been driver_irql-not_less_or_equal as well as some others that have numbers and no names. Can anyone help me?

Ok for anyone wondering I fixed my problem. Seems my thermal paste disappeared and I was averaging 65C on windows restart :eek: The temps dropped to 25C on first load when I reapplied and reseated the heatsink. Man thats the lowest I've ever seen it... The BSODs aren't appearing anymore, at least I don't think so.

Ah...well for your purposes it's not a big deal to have the image on a separate drive. I have an older version of TrueImage so I don't have personal experience with the Secure Zone, but from Acronis' description on their site it sounds like that will accomplish what you want. Is the "hidden" partition visible in Windows? It's not surprising that a partitioning program can see it, but I imagine you'll be safe from many (but not all) viruses as long as it's hidden from Windows.

65C?? That's nearing the thermal shutdown temp for Intel CPUs...good thing you didn't fry it!

Back