Acronis True Image Home 11 $9.99

Which Acronis product is it? They have a bunch. Do you know if it has Try&Decide?

Great tip t00thless!

Seagate's Disc Wizard software is a stripped down version of True Image, has been for nearly a year now. Also works for Maxtor drives as well (same company nowadays). You don't get the software from Acronis, you get it from Seagate at:

http://www.seagate.com

and go to the Downloads area and grab the latest Disc Wizard version.

Big thread about this at fatwallet with various discounts possible ($10/$9/$8) . http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/861044

One guy posted a link for for a 20% code off the $10 , going through this link only (downloaded through "digital river") . Listed post about 1/2 way down this page http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/861044/?start=20 ; but a direct link is here : http://pcsafety.info/71-Acronis-has-a-big-sale-on-TrueImage-Home.html .

I did the $8 deal with no problems , and it is definitly legit . You'll get you licence key after payment/purchase and along with a confirmed email from Acronis with key inside also .

I have Acronis 9 and am considering the upgrade to ver. 11. I assume that if I bought and installed ver. 11, it'll detect ver. 9 and ask if I want to uninstall it.

It would just upgrade the components as required but, I mean really, you can uninstall 9 yourself before the 11 installation, right? :) It ain't that tough...

I have had some real headaches trying to uninstall Acronis (the damn security zone) so back-up.

I was getting that itch to actually backup my computer again. I know I have tempted the fates way too many times already. Glad I waited, I was considering this software, good deal since it's $30 bucks on Newegg.

does this work with linux/freebsd boxes?

I have been using g4u and dd on a live cd for a whlie & they will work with any os.

Does this? If it has more functionality than dd/g4u & works with linux & freebsd boxes, I'd seriously consider it.

I have been using g4u and dd on a live cd for a whlie & they will work with any os.

Does this? If it has more functionality than dd/g4u & works with linux & freebsd boxes, I'd seriously consider it.

You would have to install it on a windows box and make a recovery cd. Once that is done you should be able to use this to clone a unix box.

I just wish they wouldn't rape people on the server versions. I'm probably going to pick this copy up since this product is invaluable.

In for 1, I was just talking with my friend about this product the other day. Weird...

I have had some real headaches trying to uninstall Acronis (the damn security zone) so back-up.

The Acronis Secure Zone is nothing more than a FAT32 partition with a special partition type in the partition table. If you have a tool that can change partition type without affecting the data (like Linux's fdisk) you can change the type to FAT32 and access the secure zone from Windows, Linux, etc.

Acronis True Image Home does work with Linux partitions. Dunno about Freebsd...

You may also want to check this out: http://www.clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/

It would just upgrade the components as required but, I mean really, you can uninstall 9 yourself before the 11 installation, right? :) It ain't that tough...

That's true, but I was wondering how Acronis would go about it. Some of my apps cleanly remove their older ver. first before installing the newer one. Some just install on top of the existing app. And some install a new version and keep the old one as well.

So uninstall 9, run CCleaner to clean out the crap in the Registry (run the Registry portion several times till there's nothing left) then install 11, simple.

I have a hard time believing that in this day and age there are no restrictions on the bootable rescue CD, because otherwise it could be copied & redistributed at will

For example, does it:
  • ensure that during backup, any partitions contain a license (ie. trueimage is installed on windows, or partition contains license file)
  • require that the image can only be restored to the computer from whence it came (tied to hardware)
  • record the license/hardware IDs when making the bootable media, such that the recovery CD itself is tied to hardware, a windows install, created images, etc.

Well I've used True Image since the beginnings of the application from alpha stages back at v1, and of all the recovery CDs I've created, not one of them has ever failed, nor given me any hassles.

It really is a workable solution that doesn't require any further action on your part as the end-user than installing the damned Windows application (which requires the serial number) and after that, you end up being able to create the recovery CD that works without limitations, period. There is no tying in any way, shape, or form, no codes, no patches, no serials, no registration codes or keys, there is absolutely nothing required past making that CD and using it if that's your intended purpose.

Hell, I even uninstall the Windows application since I don't require it. While it's entirely possible to make live images of the OS, I just prefer to do it manually outside of the OS running - that's just me.

If you can't - or simply won't - pony up $10 to find out for yourself, then remain ignorant and move along. As for the copying thing, well, shit happens I guess, if idiots and stupid people are so inclined. There's nothing Acronis can do about that...

If you can't - or simply won't - pony up $10 to find out for yourself, then remain ignorant and move along.

Thanks for being rudely judgmental at every turn to people who don't see things as you do. It is possible that you haven't made your case, not that they're stupid. In fact, that assumption makes you stupid, and I'm not about to spend my $10 just to prove that you aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Acronis. However, my needs are a bit more complicated and I'm better able to verify that the open source tools will meet my needs. Moroever, I know that the licensing will not get in my way, and I do know that Acronis *can* record enough information to enforce its license, now or at later date.

Thanks for being rudely judgmental at every turn to people who don't see things as you do. It is possible that you haven't made your case, not that they're stupid. In fact, that assumption makes you stupid, and I'm not about to spend my $10 just to prove that you aren't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Acronis. However, my needs are a bit more complicated and I'm better able to verify that the open source tools will meet my needs. Moroever, I know that the licensing will not get in my way, and I do know that Acronis *can* record enough information to enforce its license, now or at later date.

Couldn't you just download the trial version, see if it meets your needs and then either spend 10 bucks or not?

How does this program compare to ViceVersa Pro for general file backup? I really like that program but only have the trial ATM.

Did anyone download the free beta that Acronis offered just a couple weeks ago? How does this compare to that? Just wondering.

Anyone else having trouble w/ the code today? Only the 16th.

edit: Trepidati0n beat me to it. Crap. :(

I bought it using the code last night and it worked fine. The coupon did say for the first 1000 uses.

I just used the link and code that stereo55 listed, came out to 7.99

note: this is from the 'digital river' site, not acronis's store

Anyone tried using this today? I tried it earlier but couldn't get it to work. I need this software badly; I've been trying to clone my HD to a larger drive with program I can think of and nothing seems to get it right.:mad:

Serial numbers and/or "activation" are deal breakers for me even at $10. I want future installs to be worry-free, especially with a disaster recovery tool.

I'll stick with Clonezilla.

This software works great, I use it ALL the time... incremental backups everything you need... Restore disk even works great with almost all motherboard and common pci raid controllers... The restore disc has serial/activation in it, i think just the app does when it installs and its pretty painless... I recommend this software to anyone, great deal :thumbup:

I purchased the other day. I have used acronis in the past for rollouts in our office. Yes I have a corp license also.

KM

Yes, the deal ended before its official deadline. :(

it did and I didn't realize it until too late. In fairness the support was good and they have agreed to refund my purchase (I did not download it yet). So I can add that the customer support seems good, even if they did pull the deal early

I have my (second order) cart saved from when this deal first started and the price is still good at $8.99 (even at checkout) . If anyone did a previous "save to cart" , the past sale price should still be valid .

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone mentioned it....but if you have a Seagate HD, you can download Acronis for free. I just cloned a HD using "Discwizard" which is just a copy of True Image with a branded name.

You might be able to use it even if you don't have a Seagate HD.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

*edit* ok someone mentioned it already.

I missed the Acronis Deal.:(

Can anyone confirm that the Seagate Disk wizard does work with other manufacturers Hard drives?
For example what if i clone my Seagate drive, but it fails and then i want to restore it onto a Western Digital drive?

Or what if i clone a Western Digital drive and then want to Restore onto a Seagate drive?

Or would it work without a Seagate drive at all.

Can't say, but I think you want Acronis Disk Director instead of True Image Home anyway. That's the one that lets you clone a partition. I've used it many times, but I can't get it to resize an NTFS partition when copying it to a new HDD (Anybody else run into this or have a solution?). Other than that it's great.

The egg has True Image Home 11 for $29.99, still a good deal, I think that's $20 off list. It's a sweet program. I was POed at Acronis for a while because I bought True Image 9 for full retail, and version 10 came out like a month later and the upgrade fee was more than the full product at NewEgg. Got over it, esp. after getting 11 for 10 bucks!

-PP

I don't think it would hurt to download it to try. When I installed disk Discwizard, I was anticipating getting a Seagate HD. I had just a WD hard drive installed. The program seemed ready to do what I wanted...it didn't prompt me to tell me I didn't have a Seagate HD installed.

When I installed the Seagate...it was good to go. Worked like a charm.

Can't say, but I think you want Acronis Disk Director instead of True Image Home anyway. That's the one that lets you clone a partition. I've used it many times, but I can't get it to resize an NTFS partition when copying it to a new HDD (Anybody else run into this or have a solution?). Other than that it's great.

The egg has True Image Home 11 for $29.99, still a good deal, I think that's $20 off list. It's a sweet program. I was POed at Acronis for a while because I bought True Image 9 for full retail, and version 10 came out like a month later and the upgrade fee was more than the full product at NewEgg. Got over it, esp. after getting 11 for 10 bucks!

-PP

Translation: I paid for it....so you gotta pay for it. NO SOUP FOR joo!! :p

Diskwizard should work on all drives, but I think it only has the functionality of the bootcd. Might not be the lastest version of true image either.

I missed the Acronis Deal.:(

Can anyone confirm that the Seagate Disk wizard does work with other manufacturers Hard drives?
For example what if i clone my Seagate drive, but it fails and then i want to restore it onto a Western Digital drive?

Or what if i clone a Western Digital drive and then want to Restore onto a Seagate drive?

Or would it work without a Seagate drive at all.

Discwizard and Maxblast only work on Seagate and Maxtor drives, respectively. Actually, I think I had to use Maxblast on a Seagate drive when they mixed up inventories. The program does check though, so you can only use it on their hardware. I've used both programs on both brands of drives, and for kicks I tried it on a WD drive and it not only didn't work, it insulted me and my heritage...:p

Back