Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0

Was reading about this,Is this program as easy as they say?Is it the best for migration?
I would like to migrate ma os over to a larger disk and have never done this before.

many people like it
but most HDD manufacturers offer tools that will do that for free
especially when your "upscaling"

the only possible issues to watch out for are going from IDE to SATA
which bears a little research

the word "migration" is often employed to denote changing mobos with the same install
as opposed to what your likely talking about which is simple cloning of a bootdrive

you can "migrate" an OS to new hardware, by ripping out all the hardware specific drivers and is what Microsoft's sysprep is for
however most just do a reinstall and simply migrate data
if only the HDD is being upgraded basic cloning is all that is required, one that transfers the MBR (Master Boot Record) something that an Xcopy wont do.

Id say most around here use Ghost in the paidware department, I do, largely because I have it.
http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1.htm

but Ive also used Western Digital's Lifeguard suite without issue as well
and its free (one of the drives must be a WD, other manufacturers tools act the same, one of the drives needs to be their make)

Thanks Ice,Had no idea that they might supply the software to do that,I have had ma eye on a WD sata around 3 or 400 gig's.Maybe I can find one with the free software to migrate or transfer the MBR.
I most likely will go with WD,The native que command look's nice..
Don't want to switch mobo just yet cause if I do that then i'll just have to get another proc and ram,It will just start a chain reaction of buying stuff i really don't need... ;)
Thanks again Ice.

Kewl deal, Thanks for the links.. freeware.. Gonna go grab it now.All I have to do now is get ma HD.And to think I have been doing this the long way all these years...rrggg :mad:
Thanks for the info Ice.

Back