Acronics "cannot find boot loader"

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Trying to clone my Win 7 OS to my new MX200 SSD. I am using Acronics 2014 which came with the drive. In the past I used the WD version fine, but I am having an issue which states:

Acronis Loader fatal error: boot drive (partition) not found.
Press (enter) to try and boot your oS...

This is after I selected the source, destination drive and restarted the PC. It did not even start the process and just gave me an error. I am now back in Windows 7 running off my HDD. I had just formatted the new SSD so there is nothing on it. Is there anything else I must do?

Drives as they currently look:
http://i.imgur.com/tD3er71.jpg

Not sure if this is a Windows or Acronis error.

Last edited:
I use EaseUS Todo Backup (free) that has a drive cloner under the tools section. I found it to be more reliable than Acronis, and the interface was easier to use. Just a suggestion.

I use Macrium Reflect, same reasons as those from the previous poster. Acronis failed me one too many times.

Is Macrium Reflect Free stable? May give it a try.

Edit: Gave it a try. Did it directly in Windows and took ~ 2 hours. But it seems to be working fine. I used the free version.

Last edited:
That's odd. I've never had an issue using Acronis to clone a drive.

Try using the WD version. It will still work fine. Maybe there's an issue of 2014 that came with your drive.

I would say Macrium Reflect Free is stable. I have yet to have an issue. I am glad to hear it was successful for you!

After Acronis flaked on me, I used to use AOMEI BackUpper, but their Windows 10 update almost completely hosed my machine. Macrium has been solid for me.

I also noticed that Acronis 2014 installed a lot of background processes at startup, around 7. Quick googling shows it is harder to remove off your drive to. Will have to look into it and ensure it is 100% wiped off. I don't want it to create some issues at boot up.

And as mentioned, Macrium Reflect Free worked fine for me on the first try. Amazing how quiet the HDD is when Windows is not on it. Faster to. Transferring files is much quicker when it is a slave drive.

Back