• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ack!!! Help!

Attean

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
697
Ok well I got my 3800+ x2 up to 2.3 and ran it all day stable on stock volts...I was so happy and having a good time with my new system, something had to go wrong. :rolleyes: Anyway hellboy was almost over and it just flat out turns itself off. Im going to take a wild guess and say it's a bad power supply: seasonic-600 watt. I plugged a bunch of hard drives in today. Anything else it could be? My temps are just fine, it just randomly turns off. Oh and the fans sometimes sputter like theyre getting bursts of energy. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. :(

edit: specifics as to exactly what happened: I was watching a movie, and decoding 2 files off of newsgroups when my computer just shut down. I went into the bios, bumped it back down to 2.2, booted up windows and it shut down. Went back into bios, loaded defaults, was fixing to save, and it shut down.

processor: x2 3800+ @ 2.3 (multi 10; 230mhz @1.34V)
ram: 2gb corsair valueSelect
mobo: a8n sli premium
cooling: big typhoon (idle 30C load 35-36C)

pretty sure it's not ram - swapped them out and that wouldnt cause just flat out shut downs anyway, right? I'm so stumped right now. :(
 
Now it's just coming on for a second. The fans spin up to where they sound like they would normally and then just turn off. wtf seasonic.

I'm fairly new to ocing so it could be something pretty obvious. If anyone can think of anything, I'd be grateful.
 
First, I'd reset the BIOS to safe defaults as a first attempt to regain stable start-up. If that doesn't get you going, then it probably is a hardware problem.

Then, I'd carefully examine your RAM timings. Unstable RAM settings are my first suspect in the event of system restart/BSOD. Such things as clicking on a site or article that invokes Macromedia Flash Player, for example, is all it takes to cause a page-fault error due to bad RAM timings.

Hope this helps!
 
now that you mention it every time I would scroll down a web page the other day I heard clicking coming from the cpu/ram area. man you probably nailed it.
 
and Seasonics are widely regarded
they do pretty good with variable AC voltage (not that you shouldnt have a surge protector or UPS)
and if its shutting down the computer its likely for a good reason

like a short

its almost certainly not being "overtaxed" as far as the load being placed on it
 
thx Ice. yeah I tested it on an old power supply and it's most certainly a short. I noticed yesterday that when I moved the 4 pin the fans would turn on for a second. Sounds like a short to me so am going to go ahead and rma the power supply.
 
Id say its more likely that one of your components has a short than the supply
Id try to find it before RMAing anything ;)
 
well. I hooked it up to my old 420W and it booted...I mean I couldn't hook up my 7800 with it or anything so I couldnt be certain it booted but unless Im missing something...
 
Back
Top