Ack! EXOS owners help!

Llathos

Limp Gawd
I'm migrating my EXOS setup to work for my new components (new motherboard, PS, CPU, Video card, RAM).

I've been going through the normal setup until I realized I had NO idea where the ATX "jump start" cable was used to get the EXOS pump running before the computer is powered up. Is there another way to prime this thing so it can go through the normal air filtration process?

Any suggestions for an improvised jumpstart cable?

use a paper clip
just make sure u have the right pinout on the power connector

DL the manual from the EXOS site for the PINS

Don't i need to hold the connection in place while it's running, or just a touch connection like a motherboard powerup without the power button?

Also...isn't this thing going to be running power through it? And I'm going to be holding it? With my bare hand?:)

Yea hold it in your hand and just lick your fingers first :eek:

No no no thats just wrong only kidding don't do it

Before you turn on the power take the clip and bend it enough to have alittle pressure on the contacts , so it stays in place.
just don't let it touch any ground or metal or stuff
You could touch it as long as your not grounded (besides shock won't be that bad) :D

It worked:)

I used the paper clip bent to the right width and a pair of insulated pliers (just in case ;-)

Filtering now.

Not sure where they got the 1-5 mins to filter crap. It took almost an hour the first time I did it...and it's been going 20 mins so far on this time...

Llathos said:
It worked:)

I used the paper clip bent to the right width and a pair of insulated pliers (just in case ;-)

Your such a Noob, Pliers sheez :D
Your on the road to [H]ardness

Hehe:)

So tell me...what do you do when your EXOS doesn't filter all the air? I let it churn for about 3 hours last night gurgling away. I still spot air bubbles flowing through the clear section of the tubing from time to time...

Runnin with the jumper, I gently squeeze the little buggers out.

Sometimes a flick will break the surface tension
I had a bubble in the block and just rotated till it went away. took alittle doin!
R u runnin a Gpu cooler?

Yeah. CPU-H06 CPU block and the GPU-180-L06 for the x800 XL.

How can you "Squeeze" em out? They whiz by in the tube:) I'll see some bubbling in the blocks near the nozzles, and bubbles will zip through the clear tubing every few seconds. The pump is guzzling the whole time. The container up top appears only about 1/2 full...but I can't add more liquid before it's full up in the "in" spout. Putting in more would cause overflow.

Double check to make sure you don't have any leaks.
Are you using hose clamps?
If you have a small leak it can suck in air into the system and it will never bleed.

Turns out my resevoir wasn't totally full:) Took an overnight rest to settle down enough up top to make room for additional fluid.

Next issue:

Using L06 for my ATi x800 XL, I'm seeing some serious heat issues. I can barely run stock in intensive 3D apps with those tiny heatsinks they provided with the waterblock.

Any solution here, or do I seriously need to drop $115 more on the new Koolance 2-sided GPU waterblock? Try to avoid that...

Do you have the EXOS I or EXOS II?

Please check to make sure you have the waterblock is seated properly on the GPU. With the Koolance mount it's possible to get it tilted or not flat. What brand of poison are you using to conduct heat?

just jump the green wire on the atx connector with any black ground wire.

I have an EXOS I.

I took off my waterblock (which is a pain in the ass, btw, when everything is still connected) and reseated the waterblock. I also took off each memory heatsink and wiped off any residue from the old thermal tape and put on some conductive goop. I have no idea what brand...it's unmarked so probably brand X. I think it came with the Exos, but I can't recall.

Running ATiTool now to see how well my memory scales before hitting errors. We'll see if the work was worthwhile. Anything else you can think of I can do?

open up the box and put a fan blowing right at the Vcard mem.
If that helps you may have no choice but to spend the kaasch ;)
I just put in the Nv version of the koolance gpu and mem cooler and it trully is amazing

The Nv version? I assume that's the shorthand for Koolance's nVidia equivalent cooling?

The singular point that plagues me is this:

For a $115 GPU/Memory waterblock that is specifically meant to work on the ATi x800 line....I fail to see the point.

That extra money would have just gotten me the higher clock speeds that the more expensive cards have. I got the GPU-180-L06 (and the EXOS in general) with the understanding that it was an investment in cooling that should span several "generations" of computers that I build. I'm not particularly pleased that the first generation retired one of my water blocks and as soon as I'm done with this x800 XL (presumably in a year or two), I'll have to retire this flashy new one as well.

I gave up.

I took off those tiny heatsinks and tried to put on some thermal grease. I remounted the GPU waterblock.

ATiTool's searched for max Core:

ATiTool's searched for max Mem:

I've seen people claiming with just air cooling, 490/550+ isn't difficult. I'm off by a long...LONG shot. I've touched the heatsinks on those memory chips when it's running and they are extremely hot to the touch. The types of errors I've seen in game are random artifacts, flashing, etc. Only the remounting plus clocking back to stock stabilized it.

I ordered the new Koolance block. I'm annoyed at the cost, but if that's what it takes to get stability and performance with my Koolance system, then that's what I'll have to do :-/

I dont see why the block cant handle your card, that block is specced to 180 watts, and even an X800 XT PE is only 80 watts or so. Its isnt resting on the shim or something is it?

does the x800xl not have a built in temp sensor

check under the overdrive tab in your ati control panel, it should tell you the current temp of the card. However because you cool both your gpu and cpu, You want to find the maximum temp (ie the worst case scenario)

heres what i do

Prime 95 CPU Only Test
ATI Tool Find max OC capped 5mhz above default

Run these for a couple hours then check those temps

Speaking as a owner of the same block but just a x800se pciex card I can just say I had teh same experience with that block. The cpu and nb coolors worked great. After reseating and reseating and even buying some copper ramsinks the heat problems still didnt go away. I thought about buying the 115$ block but decided to just redo the entire setup with 1/2" Dangerden.

Llathos said:
I gave up.

I ordered the new Koolance block. I'm annoyed at the cost, but if that's what it takes to get stability and performance with my Koolance system, then that's what I'll have to do :-/

Yea I feel your pain, but I havn't been disappointed with the temp performance
I posted here somewhere my temp differance from the NV 5 cooler. The biggest advantage is under load.
What bothers me even more is trying to figure out what to do with all the fans and coolers I have :eek:

Here's to hoping.

I'm setting myself up to be REALLY pissed off if this doesn't improve things.

Gonna go install the control panel and check for temps. Didn't have that installed...just the drivers ;-)

Oh, and to answer your question...No, the XL variant does not have the onboard temperature monitor.

I have no idea how hot it is...just that I was getting visual artifacts and crashing in WoW at stock speeds. I personally think the memory sinks were to blame, but I can't tell in general since both core and memory were almost completely unable to overclock.

Hopefully this new GPU block will solve the problem.

Back