Acero

For anyone wondering about the SOC, should be about par with the Pi besides other than having more I/O and I'm guessing a slower GPU.

slipperyskip: I was worried at first thinking, how do you replace a bad component in it, but I guess that's a bit of a moot point. Cool looking case, can't go wrong with birds eye hard maple and shellac. Interesting design to with the plexi, kinda of with you veneered the inside edges of the cut outs, but that would be a serious pain :).

Also, shellac is super easy to use with the proper setup. Use a 3lbs or lighter cut, a real horse hair brush(as in $30+ for a 4"), and do light coats. Should go on super smooth and dry quickly between coats. An even easier way is to make a 1 to 1.5 lbs cut of shellac(for pre-mixed stuff just mix it 1:1 with denatured alcohol) and apply it with an untextured paper towel. Coats go on paper smooth and dry in 10-15 minutes in decent weather. Hit it with the sanding sponge @ 320 and repeat 5-6 times and top it off with some paste-wax :).

Forgot to link this. One of those articles is where I stole my shellac paper towel method from years ago. Subscription only but if you're a woodworker it's an awesome thing to have.

nice work skip!
gives me some motivation to get off my ass & do something cool too
(although I'm sure not as good as this as I don't have 14hrs to work just a backplate :eek:)
I did get an R-Pi, maybe I'll just make it out of matchstix or something...heh

Subscribed. Very nice work so far. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what the finished product looks like and how the VIA performs. :)
Thanks! I'll be interested in seeing it also. :)

For anyone wondering about the SOC, should be about par with the Pi besides other than having more I/O and I'm guessing a slower GPU.

slipperyskip: I was worried at first thinking, how do you replace a bad component in it, but I guess that's a bit of a moot point. Cool looking case, can't go wrong with birds eye hard maple and shellac. Interesting design to with the plexi, kinda of with you veneered the inside edges of the cut outs, but that would be a serious pain :).

Also, shellac is super easy to use with the proper setup. Use a 3lbs or lighter cut, a real horse hair brush(as in $30+ for a 4"), and do light coats. Should go on super smooth and dry quickly between coats. An even easier way is to make a 1 to 1.5 lbs cut of shellac(for pre-mixed stuff just mix it 1:1 with denatured alcohol) and apply it with an untextured paper towel. Coats go on paper smooth and dry in 10-15 minutes in decent weather. Hit it with the sanding sponge @ 320 and repeat 5-6 times and top it off with some paste-wax :).

Forgot to link this. One of those articles is where I stole my shellac paper towel method from years ago. Subscription only but if you're a woodworker it's an awesome thing to have.
I'm not sure about your replacing components comment. The "cover" fits over the "chassis" and just lifts off to get to the internals. Couldn't be any easier. There is no need to veneer the cutout edges because they won't be visible at all. Maybe we have another disconnect here. The acrylic fits in the cutouts so that it is flush with the surrounding maple surface. I thought that was obvious from the photos so I'm confused. After researching, trial and error and sanding it back to bare wood twice I finally got a method that works...I think. Ask 100 woodworkers about a method and you get 100 different answers. From my experience, shellac works great for big surfaces that you can get long brushstrokes on. Down at this scale and with these geometric designs breaking up the surface it gets a whole lot trickier. It was a fun learning experience. I appreciate your comments.

nice work skip!
gives me some motivation to get off my ass & do something cool too
(although I'm sure not as good as this as I don't have 14hrs to work just a backplate :eek:)
I did get an R-Pi, maybe I'll just make it out of matchstix or something...heh
Well...I was watching/listening to Red Dwarf so the actual time was less. I need background noise to do this kind of work so I find it hard to separate it out. Part of the process blah blah.

After drilling small pilot holes in the aluminum sheet I use hobby files to slowly enlarge the ports. I constantly match the work up against the board to keep everything aligned. Took about 14 hours while watching a Red Dwarf marathon. The most difficult port was the microSD slot because I didn't start with a pilot hole.
Wow.

Late to the party on this one, but looks awesome, as always. Congrats on another awesome project!

Nice woodworking and congrats for the patience and the "laser cut squareness" of the plate using a file...
Nice sharp design I like it!

I was looking through the photos and was like "That's cool... that's cool too... and that.... WHAOH that's INSANE"

The last one was when you posted it with the can of coke. Very very nice.

I keep trying to figure out where the PS (or at least the Power plug) will go.

That thing is freaking tiny!

It uses a laptop like power supply. Not in the case, but an external brick.

Slipperyskip, every time you post a mod I'm surprised by your sheer workmanship, especially now since you say you did the IO plate by hand. I also really like the acrylic inlays. very cool mod so far.

Just sexy looking man, awesome job.
It's sexy and it knows it. :) Humble too. Thanks.

I was looking through the photos and was like "That's cool... that's cool too... and that.... WHAOH that's INSANE"

The last one was when you posted it with the can of coke. Very very nice.
Thanks Sn0_Man!

I keep trying to figure out where the PS (or at least the Power plug) will go.

That thing is freaking tiny!
The DC power jack is the round hole next to the VGA port. I designed it so the greater mass of cables was located down low on the I/O plate. A big concern was having the unit be top-heavy. Tail wagging the dog scenario. The base is larger than I would prefer. That's to hopefully give it better stability. The floating effect is an optical trick to minimize the look of a big shoe on a tiny foot.

It uses a laptop like power supply. Not in the case, but an external brick.

Slipperyskip, every time you post a mod I'm surprised by your sheer workmanship, especially now since you say you did the IO plate by hand. I also really like the acrylic inlays. very cool mod so far.
Thanks Jorona. This is my fourth I/O plate I have done. I made one for my Unidyne project here at [H] back in 2006. They get easier and more fun as I go along.

The DC power jack is the round hole next to the VGA port. I designed it so the greater mass of cables was located down low on the I/O plate. A big concern was having the unit be top-heavy. Tail wagging the dog scenario. The base is larger than I would prefer. That's to hopefully give it better stability. The floating effect is an optical trick to minimize the look of a big shoe on a tiny foot.

Hoookay, that'll teach me for not looking closely enough, I thought that was an external antenna connector. Whoops.

i see youre still cutting up officemax trash cans after all these years. :D

amazing work as always slipperyskip. i think your patience might qualify you for sainthood. acero looks about done, whats left for it?

i see youre still cutting up officemax trash cans after all these years. :D

amazing work as always slipperyskip. i think your patience might qualify you for sainthood. acero looks about done, whats left for it?
You remember! It is actually from the same trash can but this is the end of it. Thanks!

I have a few minor things to do like paint the bottom of the base. I'm continuing my mighty struggle with the camera and lighting. I shot this video today that hopefully displays the piece's gloss, something I'll never get in a photograph anyway. You might even see some of the holographic effect. Maybe that's my imagination.

Acero Birds-Eye Maple

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

It seems shiny almost. The video really puts the size into perspective. It is a tiny little thing!

Seriously, one day you will get a camera that doesn't predate the materials you build with. lol

can you explain the purpose of the 4 pin power connector or is that still top secret?

can you explain the purpose of the 4 pin power connector or is that still top secret?

My understanding is that it is an alternate power input, i.e. if you are using an internal PSU, not an external brick. I could be wrong.

My understanding is that it is an alternate power input, i.e. if you are using an internal PSU, not an external brick. I could be wrong.

dang i was hoping it was for supplemental power in case you want to mad overclock your cpu. :p ok that makes sense i guess. does it seem weird that they would use a 4pin instead of a molex connector? if they made it molex you could put it inside a full tower computer or an htpc or something and power it off the same PSU with an extra connector.

The P4 is 12v - and is only ever 12v :p Your suggestion does make sense though, but molex => P4 connectors are easy to get.

Overclocking? you realise the CPU is ARM right? ;P

Seriously Grats on making Engadget!!

this is a great build but we expect no less from you!! keep it up

I think a big part of the problem with the comments on that site is the picture engadget posted. It has no size frame of reference, and really no context at all, so it doesn't look nearly as impressive as it should.

Seriously Grats on making Engadget!!

this is a great build but we expect no less from you!! keep it up
Thanks! I appreciate that.

I think a big part of the problem with the comments on that site is the picture engadget posted. It has no size frame of reference, and really no context at all, so it doesn't look nearly as impressive as it should.
Thanks! That's the problem with the Coke can as the Universal Size Comparator. Rules against free advertising. I stopped worrying about bad comments a long time ago. If I wanted them to stop all I have to do is post a comment myself. The roaches scurry like turning on a light. People think it is a product to purchase and pass judgement based on that. Snarky comments like "No thank you" is an answer to a question that isn't being asked.

I'm serious about sending you my camera. You can keep it.

I just want to see these works in a higher resolution. lol

I'm serious about sending you my camera. You can keep it.

I just want to see these works in a higher resolution. lol
I appreciate the offer but...my problem is lighting. With a better lighting setup I wouldn't need a fancier camera that corrects the bad lighting. Sometimes I get lucky with the lighting and that is what I count on. I eventually got decent photos of Level Eleven that I challenge anyone to do better.

I have 12MP versions of these photos but I obviously can't post them here. I'm not sure what the [H] pixel limit is but I could post higher res photos if desired..

very neat

clean and nice design
Thanks!

7.5 years and I finally made Gawd. YooHoo!

I just got banned over at the Raspberry Pi forums. I get a lot of traffic to my website from there so I decided to join up and post a thread featuring Acero. One of their users posted a link to his etsy.com sales page pimping his RPi case. I complained about it and they banned me. Both hilarious and sad.

I'm standing by to answer any and all questions about VIA's wonderful new product, the APC 8750. :)

wow nice work

What connections are available on the front panel header (id assume the basics like Power & hdd)?

does the uart connector produce anything?

wow nice work

What connections are available on the front panel header (id assume the basics like Power & hdd)?

does the uart connector produce anything?
Thanks Dans34. Welcome to the forums. I don't have a manual so I will have to test the connections to see what they do. The front panel connector has power switch and power light. It is a standard 2x5 block. Not sure if a HDD activity light would be included since there are no PATA or SATA connectors on the board. It could indicate microSD card activity. I'll try that out. The yellow 2x5 block next to it looks like a standard USB connector. I'll try that out also. The UART connector is a 1x6 header and it is labeled "UART_PH" if that tells you anything. Open to suggestions on how to test it.

Good questions Dans34 I'll get back soon.

Next I'll hook it up to my 40" HDTV and give that a go. I haven't played with this thing more than ten minutes since I've had it. I have discovered that it isn't a production model. It only has half the storage that is quoted and there is no Angry Birds installed. :mad: Probably other things too which makes VIA's request to not write about it make more sense now. I probably should back away from writing about it. My initial impression is positive.

Thanks Dans34. Welcome to the forums. I don't have a manual so I will have to test the connections to see what they do. The front panel connector has power switch and power light. It is a standard 2x5 block. Not sure if a HDD activity light would be included since there are no PATA or SATA connectors on the board. It could indicate microSD card activity. I'll try that out. The yellow 2x5 block next to it looks like a standard USB connector. I'll try that out also. The UART connector is a 1x6 header and it is labeled "UART_PH" if that tells you anything. Open to suggestions on how to test it.

Good questions Dans34 I'll get back soon.

thanks for the welcome

i wish id got mine early , mines on pre order

thanks any testing you can do will help me while im trying to make my wooden case (no where as good as yours)

what paint was it that you used to make that wood look like aluminum ?

thanks for the welcome

i wish id got mine early , mines on pre order

thanks any testing you can do will help me while im trying to make my wooden case (no where as good as yours)

what paint was it that you used to make that wood look like aluminum ?

I didn't really get mine "early". I have been working with VIA for nearly 10 years in producing display projects used at trade shows like CES and Quakecon. I don't get paid for it but I do get pretty much anything I want whenever I want it. :)

Another difference popped up between what I have and a production model...RAM. What I'm seeing is 364MB where the quote for the production model is 512MB. The 720p video plays very well on my 40" HDTV exceeding my expectations. Looks awesome coming from a neutered cell phone. I know a RPi claims 1080p but I have never been able to tell the difference from 720p other than how much space it takes up on my hard drive.

Not sure what you mean by the aluminum. The I/O plate IS aluminum. You might be confusing this with another project like Level Eleven.

Not sure what you mean by the aluminum. The I/O plate IS aluminum. You might be confusing this with another project like Level Eleven.

yes thats exactly what i did , i was reading the worklog for the Level Eleven

was looking though your site at the Level Eleven , thats what id love my case to turn out like

Back