Acero

This is awesome; love SFF stuff.

Any idea when you're able to talk about the board? I'm quite interested in it...

This is awesome; love SFF stuff.

Any idea when you're able to talk about the board? I'm quite interested in it...
Hey Jesse. I suspect that real journalists under NDA are testing and writing about it right now. I'm just decorating the table not fixing the meal. :)

Didn't mean to come off near as abrasive as I did. I just meant it's an unusual board -- no PCI/PCIe/mini slots, no SATA connections, only what appears to be an SD card slot. Several USB, HDMI out, VGA out... but little to no real expandability. If meant for HTPC type stuff, I'd imagine a tuner and 5.1/7.1 audio out would be almost mandatory? Just not seeing where it fits in most people's setups, hence "pointless."

Didn't mean to come off near as abrasive as I did. I just meant it's an unusual board -- no PCI/PCIe/mini slots, no SATA connections, only what appears to be an SD card slot. Several USB, HDMI out, VGA out... but little to no real expandability. If meant for HTPC type stuff, I'd imagine a tuner and 5.1/7.1 audio out would be almost mandatory? Just not seeing where it fits in most people's setups, hence "pointless."

This forum section is about modifying and constructing computer cases. I could post an empty case here and it still wouldn't be pointless. I'm sure you'll find many people over in the hardware sections who are impressed with your vast knowledge of what "fits in most people's setups."

Its this Via Android Board:

Linky

Key Features:
■Optimized Android OS
■HD TV support
■Hardware acceleration of the most demanding video formats
■VGA and HMDI display ports
■Four USB 2.0 ports
■One microSD slot
■One 10/100 Ethernet port
■Audio-out/ Mic-in
■VIA WonderMedia ARM 11 SoC
■2GB NAND Flash
■512 DDR3 SDRAM
■15W power adaptor

Click for Larger

Makes it pretty good for a media box.

This looks great, keep them coming...looking forward to the finished project.

What did you use to cut out the various ports on the metal portion? Very clean. Woodwork is great too...I'm surprised more people don't do woodies because it is such a pliable material, you can do anything, plus it makes the wife happy when your hardware matches the furniture.

Thanks for sharing too, great job so far.

what are the dimensions of the case (box)?
Just shy of 8 inches. I'll have some size comparison photos later on.

I dont care about the board, I want to know more about how the backplate was made!!!
After drilling small pilot holes in the aluminum sheet I use hobby files to slowly enlarge the ports. I constantly match the work up against the board to keep everything aligned. Took about 14 hours while watching a Red Dwarf marathon. The most difficult port was the microSD slot because I didn't start with a pilot hole.

This looks great, keep them coming...looking forward to the finished project.

What did you use to cut out the various ports on the metal portion? Very clean. Woodwork is great too...I'm surprised more people don't do woodies because it is such a pliable material, you can do anything, plus it makes the wife happy when your hardware matches the furniture.

Thanks for sharing too, great job so far.
Thanks. See reply above for I/O plate work. I appreciate your comment.

I dont think its a big secret - the official site here
You are correct. It is no secret but you won't find any reviews yet. I was asked to not write about it so I won't.

Nice work! Definitely going to pick up one of those boards when they are released,looks like a fun little project. :)

@slipperyskip, nice craftsmanship thanks for sharing.
are you planning to line the case with anykind of RF shielding/coating and ground it; or,
are you not concerned about possible EMI/RFI noise?

Last edited:
Definitely enjoy wood cases over metal. A much more elegant look. When I'll ever get around to my wood case project, who knows. Good job.

Very nice craftsmanship indeed.

I've never been a fan of aged shellac/varnish or the "yellowish" look. But everyones taste is different. And there is no denying the apparent quality of the build.

Thanks for sharing.

I definitely want one!! Awesome workmanship slipperyskip. If you could PM me when you finish a second one I'll provide you my shipping ;) j/k

Excellent work as usual! We're still waiting for our review sample at LOSIAS.net :/ Exciting little board, can't wait to see how it compares to the RPi

Looks great. Very classy.
Thank you. I appreciate that!

Definitely enjoy wood cases over metal. A much more elegant look. When I'll ever get around to my wood case project, who knows. Good job.
Thanks Josiah!

Very nice craftsmanship indeed.

I've never been a fan of aged shellac/varnish or the "yellowish" look. But everyones taste is different. And there is no denying the apparent quality of the build.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the comment. This particular veneer is leftover from another project. I didn't like how light the wood finished and the contrast in the birds-eyes was disappointing. (That didn't stop Kyle from putting in on the front page of [H].) :) I have never worked with shellac before and when I found it in a tinted variety I decided to give it a whirl. Hopefully it will turn out OK.

Looking great! Kinda want one of these myself now :D
Thanks Jesse. I'm thinking that's what the manufacturer had in mind when they gave me one. :D

Would you be able to do some performance testing when it's all up and running? Just curious how it would perform for streaming media, as they state it can play 720p just fine. :)

Subscribed. Very nice work so far. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what the finished product looks like and how the VIA performs. :)

Back