Acer XB280HK 28" 4K TN with G-Sync

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
The Acer XB280HK is a 28" 60Hz 4K G-Sync TN, and will be available sometime in October. Unless another company unexpectedly beats them to the market, this will be the first 4K G-Sync monitor available.

The MSRP is $800, which makes it an interesting competitor to the 27" 144Hz 1440p G-Sync TN Asus PG287Q, which also sells for $800. Will you miss the the higher Hz if you have more than twice as many pixels and still have G-Sync?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/press/2014/82208
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/Acer-XB280HK-28-4K-G-Sync-Monitor-Review
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Acer-XB280HK-4K-GSYNC-Gaming-Monitor-Review/

I'm surprised that this monitor isn't getting more attention, particularly when it should be trading blows with the ROG Swift (both have G-Sync but this one has a high 4K resolution while the Swift has a high refresh rate).

It's also fairly unique in that it's not tiled, and it's supposed to have very good color accuracy for a TN.

Acer disabled ULMB on the thing. Do not buy it unless you enjoy severe motion blur.

I would think that ULMB is more beneficial on displays with higher refresh rates. None of the reviews that I read (professional or otherwise) noted severe motion blur, or any blur for that matter.

Have you actually used it or are you just assuming that since ULMB is disabled that blur will be a problem? Honest question.

I'm not in the market for this thing but I saw it mentioned for the first time yesterday, started reading up on it, and the majority of impressions are extremely favorable. I just thought that there would be a large thread dedicated to it being that it has G-Sync, is 4K, and isn't tiled.

I would think that ULMB is more beneficial on displays with higher refresh rates. None of the reviews that I read (professional or otherwise) noted severe motion blur, or any blur for that matter.

Have you actually used it or are you just assuming that since ULMB is disabled that blur will be a problem? Honest question.

I'm not in the market for this thing but I saw it mentioned for the first time yesterday, started reading up on it, and the majority of impressions are extremely favorable. I just thought that there would be a large thread dedicated to it being that it has G-Sync, is 4K, and isn't tiled.

Any non-strobed LCD will have nasty motion blur. ULMB is good on any display. And no, I have not used this thing.

ULMB is good on any display.

Except applying a strobing backlight @ 60hz will cause visible flicker. Unless you enjoy voluntary eyestrain, no one in their right mind is going to actually enable this.

Except applying a strobing backlight @ 60hz will cause visible flicker. Unless you enjoy voluntary eyestrain, no one in their right mind is going to actually enable this.

I'll take flicker over blur any day.

I'll take flicker over blur any day.

You're full of crap. This monitor doesn't have "severe" motion blur. It's a 1ms panel. I have both an ROG Swift and this monitor, and the motion blur is about the same on both.

Backlight strobing isn't all it's made out to be, either. It reduces the quality of the image to unacceptable levels. The reality is that there are very few games that actually move fast enough to make motion blur a big problem. Unless you're playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, backlight strobing isn't even worth the image quality tradeoff.

You're full of crap. This monitor doesn't have "severe" motion blur. It's a 1ms panel. I have both an ROG Swift and this monitor, and the motion blur is about the same on both.

Backlight strobing isn't all it's made out to be, either. It reduces the quality of the image to unacceptable levels. The reality is that there are very few games that actually move fast enough to make motion blur a big problem. Unless you're playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, backlight strobing isn't even worth the image quality tradeoff.
Ignore rabidz7, he's a CRT purist who thinks LCD screens are an abomination.

Not all strobing is the same. However, on a TN image quality is already suspect, so I understand why you can't spare any.

Back