Acer’s CEO Says Industry Disappointed With Vista

HardOCP News

[H] News
The head of Acer claims that the “entire industry” is disappointed with Windows Vista, saying that it has done little to help PC sales. Oddly enough, Microsoft’s revenues surpassed $51 billion last week and worldwide PC sales were up 12%.

"The entire industry is disappointed by Windows Vista," the head of the world's fourth-biggest PC maker told the Financial Times Deutschland in its online edition on Monday. Never before had a new version of Windows done so little to boost PC sales. "And that's not going to change in the second half of this year," Lanci said.

Acer is just bitter because they're not doing well. Vista could have been more successful, but that's not the real problem.

It's not Vista, it's acers hardware that is the problem! Make some stable (or any) drivers for your older stuff and ship actual working PC out of your factory and it would help. I'll take eMachines over an Acer any day from what I have seen.

Acers empowering technology puts its laptops to shame, slowest booting machines out of box. Takes just an hour to load all their crap-ware.

Working at a retail store that sells Acer i clap everytime I get a laptop that boots to a white screen or a desktop that doesn't power on... needless to say I clap often

kudos to HP, Gateway, Sony on quality hardware and less bloat-ware!

... actually hard ocp should review bloat-ware :) acers is called "empowering technology" and it takes an hour to load on a new box

Acer is awful, I have worked on a few of them and I can definitly say that Acer is the king of bloatware. At least Acer has halfway decent budget lcd's

I could've sworn that Acer had significantly improved sales and that Q2 computer sales were up something like 12% YoY. What exactly was he expecting to happen?

Sorry guys, I work in PC sales and Acer's bloatware has nothing on HP.

HP is so full of crap on their PCs that it is just awful. like the HP "intelligent" assitant that keeps popping up, and a lousy toolbar built into the startbar so you have next to no room on it...

oh well, flame away, acer haters

Acer can't create anything that doesn't suck because they are too busy trying to figure out if chinese or mexicans will work for less money. Eventually all of their products will earn such a bad reputation that nobody will buy anything they make even if it's 10-35% less.

Honestly, when are people going to stop blaming Vista for nothing? I find it really funny that Vista is damned as a failure yet PC sells have not declined at all (in fact they've risen) since the release of Vista. These OEMs should be kissing Microsofts feet because people now feel they have a reason to upgrade again...

Acer's bloatware is absolutely terrible, by far some of the worst I've seen. Once I finally got it all removed off mum's laptop, which took nearly an hour, the performance was significantly improved.

I feel sorry for anyone buying an Acer system who doesn't know how to get it all off. It totally ruins the whole system.

LOL...Acer? who the fuck cares about what anyone from Acer says. Acer = shit

Right, bloatware is a major problem for my customers. When they purchase a new computer, I offer a $15 "PC tuneup" which basically involves me removing all the bloatware/crap that is included with PCs (with the exception of whatever they wanted to keep).

Lets just say that the boot times and performance were very very much increased.

One particular reason why I do not recomend laptops on people is the bloatware they carry. It takes usually hours to clean up the crappy software from a pre-installed laptop. And yes Acer and HP are the worse bloatware laptops I have had the pleasure working with.

A CEO speaking for the market, LOL. Heck, I'd be surprised if the CEO even has built his own computer for starters. His just being fed this by his own analysts to make up for the excuse of why they are under performing.

Who the hell cares what Gianfranco Lanci has to say:rolleyes:

Acer can't create anything that doesn't suck because they are too busy trying to figure out if chinese or mexicans will work for less money. Eventually all of their products will earn such a bad reputation that nobody will buy anything they make even if it's 10-35% less.

:D

Having not purchased a prebuilt PC since 1996, I was surprised by the amount of shovelware on my new Vista-based Toshiba laptop this past February. I spent my first hour with the computer just uninstalling crap. Performance improved, but it was also in dire need of a memory upgrade (512MB default config).

I knew that I was buying old spec hardware when I got the laptop (Best Buy special), so was able to adjust my expectations (and add RAM). But I imagine there are plenty of new computer buyers out there, especially laptop users, who are suffering buyer's remorse.

1) Fill underspec'd machine with bloatware.
2) Market machine as Vista-ready.
3) Complain about lower-than-expected sales.

Wow, Acer must be pretty bad. So bad that, when faced with the opportunity to complain about Acer or Microsoft, everyone chose Acer! :p

Also, I didn't know that Vista was supposed to improve PC sales. Do people buy new computers so they can get a new version of Windows?

Right, bloatware is a major problem for my customers. When they purchase a new computer, I offer a $15 "PC tuneup" which basically involves me removing all the bloatware/crap that is included with PCs (with the exception of whatever they wanted to keep).

Lets just say that the boot times and performance were very very much increased.

funny, I do the same. :D

I applaud him for making the statement. It took a lot of guts at that level to do it.

Wow another Vista hater. I just laugh at all the people who say that Vista sucks and that XP rocks their socks b/c in 4-6 years when Vienna comes out you will all say that Vista rocks and that Vienna will suck donkey balls.

And for the record this an Apples-to-Apples comparison, not a Linux/Unix/OSX debacle.

Not at all! I only work in Vista but it offers nothing better than XP for the average user. The average user also does not have the nicer equipment that most, not all of us, use. The only problem I have with is UAC. It really has nothing to do with security except to give peace of mind to those that use it.

Not at all! I only work in Vista but it offers nothing better than XP for the average user. The average user also does not have the nicer equipment that most, not all of us, use. The only problem I have with is UAC. It really has nothing to do with security except to give peace of mind to those that use it.

You're wrong. The average user with Vista no longer has to buy a third party DVD Maker, Media Player to play DVD's, watch TV (A tuner card is required. More of a gray area), software program to burn files to a CD/DVD/Blu-ray/HD-DVD disc, a snipping tool to cut parts of images, connect to a remote computer, can backup the whole computer to an external drive, no longer has to search for the drivers for his computer, get third party gadgets to use for convenience, secure and encrypt data to his/her HDD, voice recognition software, better battery life, parental controls, superfetch, etc etc.

Oh, and the UAC. For people who don't really pay attention and click yes to everything. Yes, IMVHO I think Vista has improving exponentially over XP.

I am not too fond of Acer's support, I had a fiasco trying to get 42 laptops' warranty information entered so we could RMA a couple of them. That took two weeks.

But I say here the problem is with Microsoft. Weren't sales low last year and everyone was criticizing MS for waiting to release Vista until after Christmas, knowing that most people were putting off PC upgrades for Vista? So we are only seeing people buying now that Vista is out because they were waiting for it. Some may like it, some are oblivious, but many find out that it is crap and want XP back. Unfortunately most new systems do not have XP drivers available, so a downgrade isn't possible. People needed to upgrade their PC anyway, so irregardless of software consideration, new PC's come with Vista, period. You need to actually look for a PC with something else, and most buyers are likely unaware of the differences in Vista.

For me, I installed it to learn about it so I can support it. But I am hard resetting nearly every day now for network issues. I am online, but no longer authorized on the domain and cannot access network drives. Reboot, and it's fine, but more and more often, explorer won't close and Vista won't reboot on its' own. The network center sometimes takes 5 minutes to come up so I can connect to a VPN, and the VPN's are problematic as well. The interface is slow, clumsy, and buggy, and on boot up I stare at a blank, black screen with just a mouse pointer for 2-3 minutes. I am used to it now, but I hard reset it in the past when all I needed to do was wait. But why should I wait? What is it doing? Shouldn't it be letting me know what it is doing all the time? Who is serving who here anyway?

I am now trying to use Ubuntu more and more every day now. So any day now M$. And I don't even mind UAC!

Oh, and one more thing, I've tried three different CD burning apps and two DVDRW drives, one USB even, and still can't burn a CD, and it is just a simple data CD at that! Acronis can create its' boot CD okay, and I think I have gotten iTunes to burn a music CD, but nothing does data or ISO's. It is probably a driver issue, something conflicting with the DRM controls seems likely.

Oh, and one more thing, I've tried three different CD burning apps and two DVDRW drives, one USB even, and still can't burn a CD, and it is just a simple data CD at that! Acronis can create its' boot CD okay, and I think I have gotten iTunes to burn a music CD, but nothing does data or ISO's. It is probably a driver issue, something conflicting with the DRM controls seems likely.

No offense, but that's not actually a possible cause. The only DRM that Vista has is when showing HDDVD and BluRay videos, and it's on the display side, not the CD/DVD side.

As for this CEO- ACER sales were up something like 135% YoY for Q2. Explain to me again what they were expecting in terms of more sales???

I guess I spoke too soon. Oh well, at least it took a whole page for someone to turn this into a stab at Microsoft.

You can't possibly have any evidence whatsoever suporting that opinion.

LOL! Haven't ne much of the 'learning' you spoke about, have you? The OS itself burns data CDs, and any half-decent burning app will burn ISOs. You've crudded up your rig!

LOL! Haven't ne much of the 'learning' you spoke about, have you? The OS itself burns data CDs, and any half-decent burning app will burn ISOs. You've crudded up your rig!

Nope, Vista hasn't yet burned a CD successfully. I spent over 24 hours waiting for it one day. That is why I installed Nero, then some other crap that came with my current drive, neither of those worked either. Other than virus scanners, iTunes and VMware, I haven't installed games or virtual drives, hacking software, or any HDCP stuff yet. This computer is for work.

I don't even bother to reboot now, just hit the reset button because I am tired of waiting on it. Just today it took over an hour to merely transfer data, drag and drop, from a DVD to a brand new, freshly formatted Raptor 74GB drive, for three separate disks! Over an hour each! What is that? 1.5x? Sounds like a DMA problem, but Device manager shows mode 2, and performance rating is 4.8.

I loaded the betas three times on one computer and the video never worked right. I figured maybe 64bit Vista just wasn't ready yet. I never really got around to more testing because of that. Now I've got Vista Business 32bit. Video is fine here, but I have other problems. I won't be happy until I start to see systems myself that run well. And I just haven't yet.

It isn't like I can just reload either. Our action pack only includes the upgrade version. So I had to install XP, install SP2, install 3 or 4 updates like MSXML or something, then I could run the Vista upgrade, format and reinstall. That took two days.

One things for certain though, with nobody else complaining, there is obviously something unusually wrong here. And if it is my fault, I'd just like to know what it is so I can fix it. But alas, I'll likely wipe and reload XP since it is just taking too long to figure out. I've got work to do after all.

I need to shut up, I'm way off topic now.

Read this, mate. that'n is mentioned in the FAQ sticky in the OS section, and it'll work just as well for your Action Pack upgrade as it does for retail upgrade releases. Two days to get Vista installed just shows that you're not following the most efficient procedures. Following the procedures I've outlined there, even allowing for the time it takes to download any available updates during the install, should take two hours at the absolute most, and possibly quite a bit less. And you're only actually sitting at the keyboard for about ten minutes of that time.

After you've put a clean install in place (and BEFORE you jump in loading software applications) see if the OS included features let you burn data to DVDs successfully. Be careful, though. By default the inbuilt burning default to 'RW' format rather than finished disks, and that takes longer to complete. You gotta access the 'Options' when you burn the data disk, and change them.

Post in the OS section if you have problems :)

Nope, Vista hasn't yet burned a CD successfully. I spent over 24 hours waiting for it one day.
I admire your patience, but for future reference, if a task that's supposed to take five minutes runs for more than an hour, you can assume it isn't going to work.

As you said, your problems are not typical of Vista. Even the users reporting bad experiences with Vista are not reporting your problems. I would do a complete reload of everything using the procedure in the link above.

Back