Acer Reports Lowest Profit in Six Years

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Troubled times for the notebook producing Acer Corporation. The company’s signature cash cow is running dry. Management is planning to restructure the company and focus on new product lines. Acer recently released its first and only tablet earlier this month.

Acer lost its position as the largest maker of portable computers in the fourth quarter and its share of the overall market dropped again in the first quarter, according to research firm IDC.

Maybe because a lot of their laptops are garbage? The Timeline series is decent that's about it. Their monitors are all right as well. Not top of the line, not bottom of the line, but just alright. I deal with a lot of them and have no complaints. Around here, all I see are Acer monitors.

Maybe because a lot of their laptops are garbage? The Timeline series is decent that's about it. Their monitors are all right as well. Not top of the line, not bottom of the line, but just alright. I deal with a lot of them and have no complaints. Around here, all I see are Acer monitors.

I would have agree if you talking about few years ago,b ut not anymore...

Timeline series is above average, not just decent.

Their new Aspire series, like 4750 with the new design is hella lot better than their old bulky looking one.

Overall, their standard has gone up fast, not the Acer that people shit on anymore.

I think they still are failing to define themselves within the notebook market. Without major change to the structure of the company they won´t be around for much longer. I think their quality is good but they need something to make them stand out.

acer rma warranty sucks too.

they don't pay shipping both ways. But that's what you get for the low price you pay

Well they sell low end pcs/laptops and are part of the first companies to feel te wrath of the tablets. As the tablets improve even higher level companies are going to feel the wrath too. IMO tablets are causing a revolution in the PC industry and over half the pc companies will go under in the next year or two especially resellers but manufacturers too.

acer rma warranty sucks too.

they don't pay shipping both ways. But that's what you get for the low price you pay

That I have to agree on shipping. You have to pay your own shipping to Acer, but when it comes back to you they pay for it.

But come back and think about it, tons of other laptop giant is doing the same thing.

That doesn't necessary say anything about their warranty.

Their customer support sucks.

Their communication sucks.

They troubleshooting sucks.

I have absolutely nothing good about Acer anymore.

Well they sell low end pcs/laptops and are part of the first companies to feel te wrath of the tablets. As the tablets improve even higher level companies are going to feel the wrath too. IMO tablets are causing a revolution in the PC industry and over half the pc companies will go under in the next year or two especially resellers but manufacturers too.

I really don't see the current OSX and Android tablets replacing PCs. They're primarily consumption devices, but for any work, any email over a paragraph, most people are going to want a keyboard.

They sit in an awkward zone... not quite a smartphone, not quite a netbook.

Not saying I don't kind of want one, but as an additional device, not a replacement for my notebook, my desktop or my smartphone. Heck, I'm pretty sure that everything that I would do on a tablet, I'm already doing on my phone.

Like I said its a revolution you'll see tablets are gonna gety real poerful real quick due to demand and price/value. The PC as a tablet has finally reached VCR/DVR status.

Like I said its a revolution you'll see tablets are gonna gety real poerful real quick due to demand and price/value. The PC as a tablet has finally reached VCR/DVR status.

Dude, What? I'm pretty sure that I disagree with you...

Electronics don't "gety real poerful real quick due to demand and price/value"

Electronics evolve as improvements in the tech are developed and deployed, not because demand increases... As for price/value, well if production of said electronics cannot keep up with demand then the price goes up, not down.

I apologize, maybe I have missed your point... It appears that English is not your first language.

Kroz

acer is going down cause they are mixing old technology with new one. yep the laptops are cheap and works, but they will last only year and need hardware upgread after that.

Not surprised. My Acer laptop died once and now has a lovely purple line going down the screen, so I might as well keep using it until it dies more/dies completely/I replace it. My Acer monitor last year decided to die as well.

The big issue I had with both products was a lack of customer service. The monitor I got at BB with a 3 year plan of theirs. I had that monitor for just over a year and the girl in customer service was saying the little code flag came up saying to call Acer. Their support number told me to goto the webpage while the webpage told me to call that number. Went back to BB, told them this is BS since I have that plan, give me a refund. Store manager came by, he tried the number/webpage, looked over the computer records and said, "WTF is this Acer BS? Just give him a new monitor this is stupid."

The laptop was even more of an issue as I had three Acer numbers to call, all of them had a recording to call another or check the webpage. Somewhere along the chain I found a 4th phone number but that was just for Acer's paid tech service aka you pay them $200 a year and then they will answer all of your tech questions like how do I right click? I was told I needed an account for them to answer my repair questions. Uhh... More digging, found some CS emails to bitch to. Eventually I got a reply, some fellow from India literally saying to send the laptop and my CC info and it will cost $300. :confused: I took the laptop to a local guy for repairs and for fun he tried the phone numbers and was just as flustered as I was.

If the monitor story happened by itself I would consider it a fluke as the manager was telling me they normally have a different procedure for all of their other Acer models but this one was odd, but the laptop runaround took the cake. Thanks to the above mentioned issues I tell everybody about this crap.

I sell stuff like this, I will throw my (very informed) 2 cents out:

1) They appeared to have done less advertising than previous years before (to me anyways).... less advertising = less sales. Who knows the reason behind this, lack of funding or just bad advertising??? I can't answer that but I'm sure a few at Acer know

2) Their products are slowly getting a reputation in the "online tech world" to have lower quality parts / high failure rates.

3) Uncompetitive pricing. Asus has better quality, and less cost tech products.

In conclusion, I have sold hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of electronics in the past year, but lately I cannot think of even one Acer product I've sold. I remember heavily advertising one or two of their products too, but not much success selling in my markets due to reasons #1-3.

After watching 10 computers at the business I work slowly die in less than 3 years, and multiple laptops that friends have bought die right after the 1 year warranty I am glad to see Acer struggling. Everything expect their monitors are complete crap and even then the monitors are hit or miss depending on the series.

I blame it on Acer using the worst keyboards in the notebook industry. Everyone who uses one never wants to own another.

I personally like Acer. I have purchased 8 LCD's and two netbooks. Good quality to me. I have had more problems with Dell and HP than anything else.

Back