Acer Iconia Tab W500

shurcooL

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm getting strongly curious about this device...

101683086.jpg

It has a pretty decent (for the size/category) graphics card, high resolution screen, at least 5 (maybe more) multitouch finger input, surprisingly decent for a Windows 7-based tablet battery life of 3-5 hours, HDMI port.

Basically, I wanna try out Windows 8 on it, and have some fun with Windows apps like WinSCP, Putty, OnLive, Chrome, etc.

What do people think? It's too bad its keyboard dock isn't as good as the Asus Transformer's.

I know there'll be a flood of much better, cheaper Windows tablets once Windows 8 goes retail, but this hardware seems quite good for the time. I think once there's a sale on it, I won't be able to resist it. :|

Oh, there are already an iPad and Android tablets in my household so I have no interest in those.

Last edited:
I would wait or consider the Samsung Series 7 Slate. That Acer has been reviewed and all the ones I read rated it poorly. Things only get better with time.

The Samsung Series 7 Slate is a little nicer, but unfortunately it's twice as expensive. :/ For that much money, you could almost buy a Lenovo X220 Tablet.

I've got the Lenovo on order now...but there is a problem with the digitizer....and the Samsung Slate it lighter and can be used w & w/o a keyboard. Greater flexibility.

For the price that W500 is a pretty solid machine. It was a device that I was considering, it does have a keyboard docking option but it's not foldable. It also lacks a pen digitizer which really is the coolest thing about Windows slates to me, note taking is the biggest thing I do with my devices. It should run Windows 8 just fine, it seems like 8 has been optimized a lot to work much better than 7 on lower end devices.

Back