Acer G257HU smidpx vs Dell P2416D

CLE_216

n00b
My BenQ FP241VW is getting long in the tooth and starting to show signs of dying, so I'm in the market for a new monitor. Generally speaking, I'm looking to spend less than $300 but want something that's a decent enough size yet packs a lot of performance into it. So I found these two and I'm pretty much splitting hairs between the two at this point. Do any of you have a preference or even own one of them?

Acer G257HU smidpx 25" 4ms HDMI Ultra Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS 350 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

vs

Dell P2416D 24" Widescreen LED Backlit LCD Monitor P2416D

So both of these seem to be fantastic values as they have what I'm looking for in a new monitor, 2K resolution, DisplayPort connectivity, IPS panel (as long as it isn't TN) and good enough for everyday use plus some gaming (AAA titles like Half-Life 3 if they EVER make it). I'll be buying a GTX 970 to make sure I got enough power for the resolution.

The Dell's a slightly smaller screen and offers a little less brightness, but like I said earlier, I'm splitting hairs here. Dell *does* have a great reputation, so I'm a little inclined to go with that, but Acer's not bad either.

Two cents, please.

*Edit* Don't suppose either could be overclocked to 75hz or even 100hz?

Never used the Acer, but I use a P2416D as one of my screens at work, so I can't say how it is for gaming. I'm partial to Dell monitors, but I'd probably go with the Dell mainly due to the price. Most recently I paid about $88 after tax for mine refurbished. Looks like it would be about $97+tax right now with the current coupon on the Dell Outlet (it's incorrectly listed as a P2415D).

I'd also pick the Dell over the Acer for a couple other reasons. It looks like the Acer (from the pictures on Newegg) doesn't have a rotating or height-adjustable stand, where the Dell comes with the standard height-adjustable stand that rotates (relative to the base as well as for vertical orientation). Also, I generally prefer monitors with the standard AC power cord versus having a separate power brick. Built in audio (Acer) or USB hub (Dell) isn't really relevant for me, but perhaps those features are useful to you.

If you're not against buying refurbished, the Dell U2515H can be found in your price range for about $160+tax as well (with the current coupons). For my office use, I do prefer the physical buttons of the P2416D over the touch sensitive buttons of the newer Ultrasharps, since I do switch inputs somewhat frequently.

*Bump*

Anybody else have thoughts on those two models? I find myself leaning towards the Dell, but the Acer has a bit bigger screen size and is less expensive. Crap stand and only tilts, though. Dell is known for their excellent stands and high quality screens and the thing comes with a DisplayPort cable, which is a nice bonus.

Back