Acer Aspire One, take two... Size Matters... :)

The one thing all the companies keep doing wrong is having the glossy lid. They end up being huge fingerprint magnets. Everyone that writes reviews for the netbooks always say that the lid is a fingerprint magnet but they still keep making the lid glossy.

The one thing all the companies keep doing wrong is having the glossy lid. They end up being huge fingerprint magnets. Everyone that writes reviews for the netbooks always say that the lid is a fingerprint magnet but they still keep making the lid glossy.

That's why I went with the white NC10 instead of the blue, black, or an Asus EEE1000H

That's why I went with the white NC10 instead of the blue, black, or an Asus EEE1000H

its why i went back to trusty thinkpad X series'.

1024x600.shiatty keyboards.gloss (either bezel OR lcd) ,slow atom. (hell, even an X40 with the old 1.4 banias is faster)

1024x600.shiatty keyboards.gloss (either bezel OR lcd) ,slow atom. (hell, even an X40 with the old 1.4 banias is faster)

Why even bother posting? Clearly what you wanted was not a netbook, nor do you seem to understand what a netbook is good for.

Because is anecdotal and opinionated based on having owned 5 netbooks so far.
:D

overall, they arent a bad style of laptop. but the only company with a clue is HP with the 2133 and 2140.

the nvidia ION platform will make a screaming product as well, in any shape or form.

Ah yes, the white NC10. I got my black NC10 this morning actually. I didn't get the white because i was afraid that over time it would start to look dirty. Also, black is just too sexy to pass up.

Actually, the NC10's keyboard is up there with the my wife's old X30. I wish it had the layout of the X30 in regards to things like inser, home, etc., but I actually tolerate the NC10's keyboard. It's not my T61p's, but it's not so bad I want to carry a keyboard around like I wanted to with the EEE.

Plus, I'm not limited to 1.8" harddrives like the X40 was. I hated that in the Portege R100 I had, so painfully slow.

Speed, I won't argue about. But, to get 7 hours of battery life in about the same weight of an X40 with a standard cell battery is nice.

So what should I get.
I have $100 off anything at J&R and need to get a Netbook.

Looks like they have the ASUS 904HA and the Acer AOD150 (currently preorder)

NC10 is a whole $100 more then either model so not going to consider it for that reason (it's the economy, silly!).

The NC10 is $100 more for a reason... actually several reasons, and well-worth the cost... actually worth more but but but... :)

It's the one to get.

Thanks Joe,

Not convinced though :)

Both the Acer and the Asus are 2nd Gen models produced based on mistakes made in their previous iteration. What am I missing then? What does the NC10 give over the new improved models above?

Better battery life, better keyboard (although the 2nd gen AAO improves that).

Only mistake to fix on the 2nd iteration would be flushmounting the SDHC and making it bootable.

Personally, I think the new AAO is both a step backward as well as one forward.

Bigger size is unnecessary and doesn't provide a worthwhile justification (screen resolution) and the permanent SD storage slot was eliminated which is one of the things I love about my AAO.

I never had trouble with the touchpad and is something you get over in less than a day. I will say that the addition of bluetooth is a nice bonus though.

The original 8.9" AAO already comes in a 10" chassis (which is why there's a huge black border). It looks like the new 10" model uses an even bigger chassis (11"? 12"?), because even though the screen is now 10", there's still a huge black border. Why didn't they put the 10" Netbook into a 10" chassis?

The original 8.9" AAO already comes in a 10" chassis (which is why there's a huge black border). It looks like the new 10" model uses an even bigger chassis (11"? 12"?), because even though the screen is now 10", there's still a huge black border. Why didn't they put the 10" Netbook into a 10" chassis?

Because they want to leave room on either side of the screen to run wires, so you can mod it! I actually don't mind the touchpad buttons being the sides of the touchpad at all. I hear a lot of people complaining about this, but I've never had any problem with it, at all. The truth is, since there's no wrist rest to speak of, my hands are naturally resting on either side of the touchpad, below the keyboard, so it works out perfectly for me.

They should all follow the white NC10 non glossy lid and screen. I've owned a couple of netbooks and the only ones I really like are NC10 and the Lenovo s10

But hey maybe it's useful if someone was sneaking up behind and you can ninja them because you can see them while they're making their move towards you.

But hey maybe it's useful if someone was sneaking up behind and you can ninja them because you can see them while they're making their move towards you.

To quote "Edward the Longshanks" from "Braveheart":

Ed said:
"As King, you must find the good in any situation..."

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that quip above, soooo... :) Nicely done. hehe

Back