Acer AL2051W

ScYcS

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 11, 2004
Messages
3,960
Can anyone shed some light wether this unit supports image scaling to 4:3 if necessary? Also, does anyone here have one and how do you like it? I was considering the Viewsonic 20" WS but really don't want to miss the 4:3 aspect if needed (and the driver option is hit or miss it seems, so no...).

If this Acer has the 4:3 option, then I'd get this one.
 
careful bump in case the one owner of the monitor wasn't online yesterday?!
 
yeah I would like to know more about this monitor too? who is selling them also.. I dont see them on newegg
 
zipzoomfly.com and mwave.com has them. ZZF with free 2 day shipping.
 
Last bump....hoping....

there is a very big abundance of reviews for this model. Only 2 review were found, one in french. Generally it seems the monitor gets good grades.
 
*raises hand* I have one.

No 4:3 scaling feature on it.

The most important thing I can say is that the info on the Acer homepage is wrong to the best of my knowledge. It says the monitor is TN, however, there is no TN panel that meets the specs that I can find, the panel has been identified by reviewers as a P-MVA AUO panel (which checks out as the only panel from LG, Samsung or AUO that meets the specs) and the viewing angles are very good, even from below the monitor which is very un-TN-y.

The panel it uses according to lesnumeriques/behardware is the same as the panel used by the Viewsonic VX2025. The main difference is that the Viewsonic has a frosty antiglare coating, while the Acer has CrystalBrite, aka a glossy coating.

In DVI mode the monitor is great. I got one dead pixel near the edge, took me a couple days to see it. There is no banding or ghosting that I can see and backlight bleeding isn't a problem. The blacks are very black(the most striking thing moving from a TN monitor) and the colours are nice. Everything is very clear and crisp. It comes with all the cables needed and has a built-in speaker that I'll never use.

Unfortunately the DVI connection is loose, I only just got the monitor a few days ago so I've been unable to determine whether it's the cable or the DVI port. I've been running in VGA mode which is still very sharp but I've noticed a sort of strobe effect while playing videos( or working on similiarly dark backgrounds) in VGA mode that I never seen in DVI.

All in all, the image is very good, the best I've seen but then I haven't seen the new IPS monitors. The glossy coating gives a nice sleek look but shows up marks, have some screen cleaner on stand by. The price was good (the BenQ was the only 20" cheaper in Ireland), however I'm not that happy with the build quality. The neck pivot was too tight, the VGA mounting screws not tight enough and the DVI cable/DVI port has a loose connection. The first two are minor, time will tell with the third.
 
Thanks so much martel!!!

So basically this is the same as the viewsonic but with a different coating (which i'd prefer over the viewsonics matte coating).

Interesting.
 
Back
Top