acer 2423 or dell 2407...?

cukes3838

n00b
same price, similar specs, different panels...

i'm converting from the CRT world, and think i've narrowed it to these two. the dell has been more thoroughly reviewed; the acer has been praised by the few people who have bought it (at newegg and on this board).

if you had 700 to spend on one of these screens, which would you buy? (and why?)

I've never had either, but that Acer sounds real nice. I read a recent article on a technical News site that was discussing how Acer is building high quality stuff in order to spread their name and grab much bigger share of world market.

I'd say away from the Dell 24", it has a lot of issues that need to be resolved.

I would also stay away from the Acer...looks cheap and poorly made. :rolleyes:

Wait for the Dell 2407WFP to be fixed or go for the Samsung 245T (coming soon).

MJCfromCT said:
I'd say away from the Dell 24", it has a lot of issues that need to be resolved.

Despite the issues with the 2407 it is a nice monitor. I had a debate between this & the 22" Westy and selected this one solely on picture quality. This is from a gamer/ multimedia user. I am not an photoshop user and could care less about the banding issues as I do not see it in what I use the monitor for.

A couple people on the boards went and grabbed that new Acer and said it is awesome. Measures the input lag at about 30ms, which to most people isn't noticable. Both the Samsung and Dell 24 inchers both measured between 40-65ms lag. Apparently its an amazing pictures and real good for gaming/movies. I know I'm grabbing one at the end of the month when I build my Conroe system.

I think the Acer is actually better then the 2407. The 2407 is known to have some current issues that need to be resolved. I havn't looked much into the new Samsung 245T, but I know the current one is using the same TN board as the 2407 so ya...

Acer IMO.

up4528 said:
Wait for the Dell 2407WFP to be fixed or go for the Samsung 245T (coming soon).

If the Samsung is priced anything like they usually are then you won't be getting it for anywhere near $700 like the other two. :(
I just purchased the Westinghouse 22" widescreen at BB and I'm very happy with it. It was $400 - 10% off coupon + tax for me. A friend of mine has a Dell 2405 and I just couldn't justify double the price between the two for only a extra 2" viewable area. Would I like to have a 2405 or 2407? YES. Would it be worth the difference to me. NO. I'm a cheap bastard but if I really thought the difference was worth it I'd have splurged. Besides, the issues that the 2407 is having and the unavailibility of the 2405 made it a fairly easy choice for me. I have no experience on the Acer that the OP mentioned. It looks nice but with no component inputs it limits it's uses somewhat.

I am looking at getting a 2407. The only thing I will do with it is gaming, and I might watch some movies sometimes. I think the "no dead pixel" warranty is quite attractive and weights in the balance, at least for me. I don't really know the Acer one, don't know either about their dead pixel policy, and the Samsung 244T is out of price, pretty much twice the price of the 2407. I guess the 245T won't be any cheaper = so far the obvious choice for me is the Dell.

Regards,

Thx for the heads up syntax, but no where here in Canada did I find a 244T under 1800CA$, compared to 850CA$ for the Dell. It's quite an easy decision. Both have the exact same specs and I also red a review comparing the two. They were both quite equal. Dell also has a 3 year warranty compared to 1 year for the Samsung. Still looking at that Dell :rolleyes:

Cheers,

The Philips 230WP7NS is a very good screen also. With the 2407, you have to decide if you can live with banding and sub-optimal viewing angles. However, despite the negative feedback, the Dell is probably decent.

$999: http://www.prosys.ca/carleton/pc.htm

$1,054:
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=20211199B
http://search.ncix.com/displayprodu...n=230WP7NS/27&manufacture=PHILIPS ELECTRONICS

$1,092: http://www.insight.ca/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=PHLP7NS27

has anyone heard whether the acer al2423 (the new one that has had such good reviews) is HDCP ready?

not the biggest deal in the world for me, as 90% of what i do will be desktop (and games the other 10%); but would that be a dealbreaker for many of you if it were dell2407 vs acer2423?

Back