• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ACD 27" vs Monoprice 30"

dxnice27

n00b
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
3
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for many months for the excellent advice/suggestions many users share for those in need. And I finally decided to make an account because I simply can not make a decision on which display to buy!

I will be upgrading from a Dell 21.5" U2212hm monitor. I found a Apple LED Cinema Display on Craigslist and he is willing to sell it to me for $600. This display is 3 months old and he no longer needs it since he has a new job. (He is from a nice neighborhood if that helps at all, I don't know). I will be using it with my PC so I know I will have to spend an extra $80-100 for the Altrona adapter.

Last night I pulled the trigger on Monoprice's 30" DVI-only IPS monitor for a total of $685 (after coupon and shipping). I am skeptical of these (Korean type) monitors since there are imperfections. But a 30 inch monitor for under $700 seems like a really good deal to me. I don't know if I should cancel this order and just pick up the ACD?

I'm going to be mainly using it for school (medical school), research and occasional GW2 when I have free time. I have been thinking about this decision for the past day and finally decided I need other's input. Thank you in advance.

I run dual sapphire 6950 xfire, with intel i7 if that helps as well.
 
I've got the more expensive version of the 30" on the way. I'll let you know how it is. I currently have the 27" monoprice on my desk, so I'll have a solid comparison.
 
Thanks!

I'm going to check out the 27" ACD tonight but still waiting for the 30" (cheaper version) to arrive
 
I will be using it with my PC so I know I will have to spend an extra $80-100 for the Altrona adapter.
You shouldn't need an adapter, I would assume a 6950 would have at least one DisplayPort (or miniDP) output - should work fine with ACD with the right cable.

The 30" Monoprice has wide gamut color - which could be useful if you happen to do a lot of Photoshop, but otherwise it will be a headache with incorrect, oversaturated colors. The ACD is standard gamut and will look stunning. That said, I would go with a cheaper 27" Korean panel over either of them.
 
You shouldn't need an adapter, I would assume a 6950 would have at least one DisplayPort (or miniDP) output - should work fine with ACD with the right cable.

I just checked the specs on newegg. I have the Sapphire 6950 2gb (dirt edition) and seems like I only have a regular displayport. Will that work with this video card?

1xHDMI
1xDisplayPort
2xDVI (Single and Dual)
 
Same design as the Crossover. Looks baller.
Given I have had no issues with Korean monitors I'd say the 30" is a good way to go. Max out the res.
That said I only have tried one Korean monitor. My brother just bought a crossover so I'll have a better statistic than "1 out of 1" soon, :p

Petty personal opinion:
"Monoprice" is a terrible brand name.
 
Back
Top