• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Accuracy of SMART disk temperature

aye29

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 20, 2006
Messages
76
How accurate are the temperature reported by SMART monitoring? I have two 7200rmp SATA Western Digitals that are showing at or above 50C idle which I understand is very very bad for the life of the drive. Just for comparison SMART is showing my Raptor running at 43C idle and when I put my hand to the drive they feel about the same.
 
For me, i've had 2 WDs that temp sensing is kind of funky..so go figure. Hitachi is one that I will admit is good sensing wise.

Do the cold boot temp check, and see :)
 
Cold boot temp check? I assume you mean check the temp as soon as I start the comp to see what the temp is then?
 
aye29 said:
Cold boot temp check? I assume you mean check the temp as soon as I start the comp to see what the temp is then?

Exactly :) Sorry, I tried to sumup the idea in a few words lol.

Make sure it is or close to ambient, and if it isnt, then you know the offset.
 
Back
Top