Accidently ripped off CMOS (?) battery support; how to fasten back in place?

Broohaha

n00b
I was toying with an old motherboard I had lying around, trying to get it to work and I accidently ripped off the little latch that fastens the battery to its spot on the mobo.

Does anyone know a good/safe way to fasten the battery back in place without harming the motherboard's components? Can I use regular super glue? Some sort of special glue? Scotch tape? Twine? :(

Here are pics of the battery and the little latch I stupidly ripped off.

img04725we.jpg

img04733hf.jpg

go here:

http://www.keyelco.com/kec/standpro/specpage/spec07.htm

request a sample of catalog #106 : 20mm Thru Hole Mount (THM) Coin Cell Battery Holder

replace the broke tab with the new one, or the entire holder with the new one (you will need a solder gun to do it, either way.

Otherwise just use a paper clip, bent to shape and wedged into the old hole and held into place with some super glue/electrical tape.

It'll probably fall out, but if you do it right and maintain a good connection between the paper clip and broken off clip's base prong, and secure it with super glue, who knows you might get lucky...

95% harder/less likely to work one way--5% easier/less time consuming the other, but more expesive and potentially more damaging if you don't have a sodering gun and/or don't know how to use it.

I think you know what you have to do.

this is what i came up with:

1. i cut out about 8 very thin strips of electrical tape and criss crossed the battery (so that the black piece of tape kind of look like spokes on a wheel.

2. then i took a piece of tape and wrapped it around the circumference of the battery holder and mashed the tape down to keep the strips secure.

img04768ah.jpg

3. i was about to stop at that then i went kind of batshit crazy and did this:

img04778xr.jpg

img04780ox.jpg

Is that smart? or just a surefire way to have electrical tape goo melt all over my motherboard and render in non-operational?

jomiwic said:
go here:

http://www.keyelco.com/kec/standpro/specpage/spec07.htm

request a sample of catalog #106 : 20mm Thru Hole Mount (THM) Coin Cell Battery Holder

replace the broke tab with the new one, or the entire holder with the new one (you will need a solder gun to do it, either way.

Bingo!

Get the new holder, 5 minutes of work and you're done...

That tape's going to get shit every where...

MD

That's pretty funny, but I'd be more impressed if you used duct tape. ;)

Its a good temporary solution, but it will soon fall off and leave a sticky mess.

why would you care about that old slot 1 mobo anyways?

were it me, i'd just hot-glue the battery in and hang the thing on my wall.

Back