Accidentally installed WinXP with ACPI disabled in the bios...

dolphumous

2[H]4U
This is a friends PC I just upgraded.

So now under 'Computer' it says MPS Uniprocessor PC and the ACPI functions don't work.
(Like power down @ shut down)

I already know it's going to bother him having to press the power button to turn off his PC.

Anyway... Can I switch this to a ACPI PC now that it's turned on in the BIOS without a reinstall? All the info I've found sounds shady...some say yes and others say no.

If I have to reinstall or run a repair he's going to end up pressing the button. :)

Thanks

It's a fairly simple fix.

Go into the BIOS and enable the ACPI support.

When you next reboot Windows, a lot of hardware should get re-detected, so let that happen and reboot again if it requires it (usually does).

On the next reboot, when you do get fully into Windows, bring up Device Manager (press Windows+Pause, click Hardware, click Device Manager). Open the Computer section at the top, doubleclick on whatever is listed on that section and click Driver - Update Driver.

Choose Browse for the driver, then choose the "Let me pick from a list" option. Uncheck the box that says Show compatible hardware; that'll cause the entire available list to be shown.

Find ACPI Uniprocessor PC and choose that driver, finish out and reboot again.

This sounds tough but basically all you're doing is changing the Computer type as far as Windows is concerned from the non-ACPI version to the ACPI version just by installing the appropriate driver.

'Nuff typed. Good luck...

Enabled in BIOS.

Restarted...nothing new found

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Nothing found...right before the WinXP logo comes up I see it says ACPI Controller 9

Hmmm...

Also, If I just go into device manager (right click My Computer...Manage...Device Manager) and try to manually update the driver I only get MPS Uni/MPS Multi/Standard PC

Damn it I don't want to run a repair...

Well, after reading a lot more I've decided I don't care this much.

I'm shipping it out this way. :p

Thanks for the help anyway guys but I'm almost certain it can't be done.

You need to do a clean install with ACPI enabled in the bios. That's the only way I've come across to fix that issue.

Reinstall is the only way I know of fixing it.

Looks like you're shipping it out... maybe next time. :p

Back