Accidental partition delete - how to recover?

I was re-installing Windows and when I was deleting a HD to create a new partition, I clicked the wrong drive and it was gone! This is a 1TB drive with a lot of files I need (OS ISO files and some irreplaceable files).

What is the best way to see if I can recover this data?

20 years ago I had a similar problem.

There was some software available that would scan a disk looking for posible partition boundaries. Other software allowed writing the proper header.

If you can find software, you can certainly recover the data.

Try a google search for "recovering deleted partitions"

Maybe http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I have used "Recover my Files" in the past. It has a freeware version and it can detect deleted partitions. Use the disk as little as possible before you try the recovery - every new write to the disk can potentially overwrite something that was deleted.

I once deleted two partitions of different types (FAT32 and NTFS) on a drive and reinstalled Windows only to discover I didn't have a backup. I bought Ontrack's EasyRecovery software and it was able to recover about 70% of the files even though I had created a new partition on top of the drive. As always UMMV but I was quite impressed.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager Professional has a nice easy utility that recovers partitions. That's what I use.

R-Tools

saved my but real good once when a partition got deleted years back and showed as RAW for me.

Once I used something called partition doctor I believe, for a simple delete like you, the partition just reappeared, no need to brute force search for the files etc.

Back