Accessing shares on workgroup computer from a server in a domain

a_kraker99

Weaksauce
I am just curious if it is possible to access shares on a computer that is on the same network but in a different workgroup/domain or if they all absolutely have to be in the same domain or workgroup.
I am able to see and ping the workgroup computer from the domain computer but not able to see the shares.

You should be able to.
For workgroup "computer name\username" + password
For another domain use "domain\username" + password
Also there could be Firewall settings that may need changed.

you mean "\\computername\username + password"

I think there must be a firewall setting I need to modify. I am able to access other computers, just one in particular is not working now.

I got it. I had to turn password protected sharing off for that computer.

Here is a different question. I have my server set up as a name server and my computers use it as the primary DNS. Anything it cannot resolve gets forwarded to Google's public DNS. The problem I am having is that it seems like it falls back on the public DNS too quickly. I have my server set up as a web server and when I enter the domain in my browser sometimes it goes to my internal server but other times it goes to the internet registered domain. What gives?

Are you using AD with integrated DNS? You have the public DNS setup in the DNS Fowarder section correct? If so, it should only query the public DNS when it does not have a record stored locally. It's not a failover operation.

Are you using the public host name or the domain host name?

Back