Accessing my PC remotely?

orion23

Gawd
Hi!

I have a Dell PC @ my office, running XP Pro. I mainly use quickbooks and a food menu program.

I would like to be able to run those 2 programs from my home PC and even print the menus and update information (payroll, bills...)

What is the best program that I can use for this? Symantec's PC anywhere?

Symantec's PC anywhere is $200

RealVNC is $100 for 2 licenses

Free VNC? Could I use this?

What about Microsoft's own remote PC software?

Thank you in advance!

I would think that RDP should work. Right click on My Computer, go to remote, then check "Allow Remote connections to this computer" or something like that.

Assuming there's no firewall that's blocking the connections (there may be, you might need to check into this), you should be able to connect from home. Start > Programs > Accessories > Communication > Remote Desktop Connection. Put in your IP, then your username/password & it should let you in.

I would think that RDP should work. Right click on My Computer, go to remote, then check "Allow Remote connections to this computer" or something like that.

Assuming there's no firewall that's blocking the connections (there may be, you might need to check into this), you should be able to connect from home. Start > Programs > Accessories > Communication > Remote Desktop Connection. Put in your IP, then your username/password & it should let you in.

I was playing with it a little.

Problem is that both PC's use routers. I guess that makes things more complicated!

You can go through the steps of learning to configure the firewall at your office, open/forward port 3389 to the static LAN IP address you'd have to setup your host PC on. Then setting up a dynamic dns alias service so you can find the IP from home and connect.

Or...just sign up for a free logmein.com account on it..and not deal with firewalls and IP locators. Easy to setup.

Back