accessing exchange server via POP/IMAP/SMTP

short story long, i can't do it.

it makes no sense.
exchange has all the default settings, which allow for pop / imap / stmp / mobile devices etc..

i think its because the mail server is directed using an A record. the DNS seems to just be all bootleg..

this might be the problem:
-----------------------------------
WARN
Mail server host name in greeting
WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

mail.ourdomain.org claims to be invalid hostname '**************************************************************************0****0****0':
220 **************************************************************************0****0****0 *********************200******0*****0*00

-------------------------

we do get e-mail though, which seems odd after looking at our DNS report..

and we can check our e-mail remotely via outlook web access..
and when we send out a mass e-mail, yahoo/gmail/msn, puts all of our e-mails straight to spam, if it doesn't block them all together.

ok.. i am in "exchange system manager"

I am at the "Fully-Qualified domain name:" entry.
it is
SERVER.ourdomain.local

so i could change it to mail.ourdomain.org , but that will probably screw up all the internal mail.. we currently set up everyone's outlook accounts to connect to the "SERVER.ourdomain.local"

i see masquerade domain and smart host.. are both blank..

if i put
SERVER.ourdomain.local into the masquerade and
mail.ourdomain.org into the fully qualified, could this solve that problem?

also, this might get back to the original issue..

there is no outbound security, no authentication, and relay restrictions are set to allow "only the list below", which is nothing..

i am thinking that if i enabled authentication; basic with TLS, and put mail.ourdomain.org into the "default domain".

or, it looks like i can set up POP3.. it has some authentication enabled..

you know what? the ports aren't opened up in the firewall..
should i be fine, as long as i require authentication?

Do you have any spam filtering, AV software or other email filtering installed on your server? Your server is not responding to any standard SMTP commands issued to it.

Your server is identifying itself as *********************************************************** ***************0****0****0': 220 ****************************** ****************************** **************0****0****0 *********************200****** 0*****0*00 which indicates an issue since it should respond back with the FQDN SERVER.ourdomain.local and not the above "garbage".

Either something is corrupted with the server or antispam/antivirus/firewall software is causing the above identifier and possible issues with SMTP commands

Manually telneting to your mail server reveals it is not responding to any smtp commands which could explain why you can't get smtp to work. POP3 seems to be working as when I telnet to that, it responds to pop3 commands.

You should correct the above issues prior to troubleshooting anything else. At the moment, I am at a loss as to why your server identifies itself and doesn't respond to smtp commands via telnet.

we have a cisco pix firewall.
symantec brightmail + a/v

i allowed pop3 in the firewall.. and then tested it with a computer and a palm treo, and both worked..

Back