Access/VB Coding Question

phigity

n00b
i've got a contact type database here at work. i'm in charge of running reports, queries, and mantaining the database. my boss has the idea of making a input box come up when the database main form loads and having the employee enter their initials into the box so track their work. it will also help a lot b/c their are a lot of mistakes people are making and no one ever admits to it. i'd really like to put a stop to certain things. can someone please help me out with this? if you need anymore info then let me know. i have had 2 years of VB and 1 year of C++ so i'm familiar with coding. thanks!

It's actually not that hard, depending on how detailed you want your tracking, and on what your database does.

I'm currently working on a CMS type database that sends out an e-mail to a list of clients when data is updated. Naturally, the boss would like some accountability, so I just created a tracking table. Basicly, when the user enters data, the user ID, action type (new data, delete data, email, logoff) and timestamp are logged. If there's an issue later on, the user ID can be matched up with a name with a simple query.

This is a simplified explanation. It will take some coding on your end to do the error checking, making sure a user can't bypass a transaction, etc...

Back