"Access Denied" when installing printer driver

redheadfred

Limp Gawd
Alright, so I have an issue with my XP Pro SP2 box when trying to install a printer driver. Every time I try to install a printer, during the last step while copying files, I get an "Access Denied" error box and can't finish adding the printer. I'm trying to hook up to my network printer through LPR. I have several other computers on the network who can all print to the printer, but I can't install the driver on this one box. It's quite frustrating...

So, any thoughts? I'm an admin on the box, I just can't think of other permissions that would be messing this up...

Check c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop and make sure you have rights to write in that directory. Maybe its crashing trying to install the icon. If you can do a custom install, choose not to add an icon to desktop...

And check that you are on the same domain and have rights to the printer since you are connecting it over the network.

Alright I can check that, but it's happening when I'm going through the "Add printer wizard" not installing third party software.

Aha, nevermind I got it...had to go and change every directory that it was copying files to manually for the correct permissions...stupid XP.

Thanks for the suggestions Savage.

Back