Access Denied - Vista 64

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Keep getting somewhat random "Access Denied" errors when trying to copy files, unzip files, run setup programs. Is there any way to prevent this? I know to "unblock" specific files, but what about installations? Trying to install a simple kid's game and get the following;

"An installation support file c"\Program Files (x86)/Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel 32\ctor.dll" could not be installed.

Access is Denied."

Is this a case of 32-bit incompatibility, or of Vista 64 being a douchebag?

Did you try running as admin, the kid game? You need to be more specific about the other errors before someone can help.

Only have Admin user setup on this PC, so yes I'm always Admin on this PC. The above error message is as specific as it gets. Other errors are usually just when doing simple drag and drop moves or copies to whatever folder, nothing sacred like the Windows folder or anything, I have a TEMP folder where it happens, or even the desktop. Also does it with some zip files when trying to unpack them. The errors are just an "Access Denied" window and then it closes without moving or copying.

Check the event viewer log for anything out of the ordinary. Are your problems reproduceable? I.e. does it happen every time you unzip or does it randomly appear then disappear so you get the error once, then the next time you try it succeeds? Your problem is unusual, so let's not blame Vista just yet. Try safe mode as well, and disable 3rd party programs like AVs and so on, also update all the usual stuff; chipset drivers, bios, and OS.

I had a similar issue where my file perms were screwed up. I had to disable simple file sharing, which then enables the Security tab under file/folder properties. At that point, you can either add your admin account with full permissions or reapply the current ones.

change permissions so whatever account your using is the owner. You could try making the administrators group the owner of the x86 Program files, but you might be better off adding the direct account.

And same response as I gave there. Create a folder for yourself elsewhere than the 'Program Files' folder and use that for the general install location for such things as kid's games, and you won't see the 'Access denied' messages when trying to perform such tasks as are described in the topic post. The messages are only being generated because a 'protected system area' is being modified. If the games/programs/whatever aren't installed to a 'Protected system Area' then you won't see them!

Catweazle

I created a folder in the C:\ directory to store music and movies and install programs. Any attempt to move files to or from this folder without the registry tweak gave me an "access denied" error. Reg tweak installed, no problems.

Not if you have file sharing set up on your network...
I have file sharing setup on all of my networks, and it is one of the first things I disable. I don't need Fisher Price to hold my hand through networking and file-sharing. I prefer to do it the more common way, which honestly, I think it easier than what Microsoft calls the Simple method.

Back