"Access Denied" for My Documents .. Windows XP Home

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
I just came from a clients computer that had the following problem.

Forgot windows password.
No problem, I will just use ERD and reset the password. ERD Does not detect ANY windows install. (Windows WILL boot correctly)
I reinstall Windows XP Home under /windows1 directory to try and reset the password... no go.
Now if I click on his old user accounts "My documents" folder it tells me "Access Denied"

I also can't login as administrator due to an "Account restriction"
Also, if I go to "manage" the "Local users and groups" isnt there.

I don't have much experience with security issues in windows XP home. Can anyone help out and let me know what I need to do to get this guy back into his documents? Or better yet, reset his password on the old install.

What kind of hard drive? IDE or SCSI?
Is GoBack installed or any other "recovery" applications?

If SCSI, then you'll need to load a SCSI driver before ERD can recognize the drive.

If GoBack is installed, then you'll need to use a data recovery software to pull the files since Goback preempts the normal partition and precludes slaving to another system to pull the files from it.

Alternatively, if you can boot into your alternate install, then simply "take ownership" of the required folder to retrieve the documents, but you'll need to take ownership in safe mode in order to access the security tab for any folders/files in XP Home.

You may need to load a driver for the SATA controller before ERD will recognize the drive.

Recheck my prior post since I added more info to possibly gain access to the folder you need.

is there any other method of reseting the windows password on the old install? That way, all his settings and everything will stay intact?

cyr0n_k0r said:
is there any other method of reseting the windows password on the old install? That way, all his settings and everything will stay intact?

Not if you've done a parallel install already. By doing so you've effectively negated the original install and can only recover the needed documents as needed.

FYI I've never done a parallel install and attempt to "switchback" to the original install by manipulating system files. In the cases where I had to do a parallel install, it was simply to recover files, format the system, and reinstall.

SJConsultant said:
Not if you've done a parallel install already. By doing so you've effectively negated the original install and can only recover the needed documents as needed.

FYI I've never done a parallel install and attempt to "switchback" to the original install by manipulating system files. In the cases where I had to do a parallel install, it was simply to recover files, format the system, and reinstall.
for future reference, had I not reinstalled the OS.. what would have been another method to reset the password?

The first issue is to troubleshoot why the software your using doesn't recognize the partition.

What is the exact name of the "ERD" you are using to reset the password?

ERD Commander 2003

We use it at work for this exact purpose.

I had a feeling the disc was not detecting the install because the partition table has been messed up somehow. I thought this because the computer (not evertime, but quite often) would try and do a chkdsk on the C drive.

ERD would also not see the NEW install of windows when I tried using it after the reinstall.

Sounds like GoBack (a type of "point in time" recovery software) or a disk translation software (e.g. breaking disk space limitations) is installed and preventing you from "normally" recovering the information or seeing the disk partition.

In any case, your best bet at this point is to run data recovery to obtain whatever files are required, format the system, and reinstall.

Back