Access bios from within WinXP Pro

audiofight

Limp Gawd
Can you access information from the bios while within Windows XP Pro w/ SP1 installed?

I want to nab the Dell Service Tag out of the bios and use it as my Windows Computer Name (Workstation IDs). If I can figure out how to access the service tag, I will finish writing a batch file that will automatically name the computer and change a couple registry edits to all match with no typographical errors.

Plus, I can deploy this batch file to all 2200 users at work with ease and fix a long standing problem of duplicate workstation names due to imaging.

Shoot......missed that part.

The systems we are running are still on SP1 due to some minor software incompatibilities. We are scheduling the upgrade now, but had to put it off until some patches became available.

audiofight said:
Shoot......missed that part.

The systems we are running are still on SP1 due to some minor software incompatibilities. We are scheduling the upgrade now, but had to put it off until some patches became available.
WMI doesn't require SP2. It came with windows XP gold. Suggesting to goto SP2, since it's a more secure platform from the get go.

Gotcha

Like I said, we are planning a rollout sooner than later. 2200 users across 3 states makes it a little tricky to implement over night ;)

Back