Access and control my Macs at home from my Windows PC?

idyll

n00b
Sorry, not sure if I am posting this in the right subforum.

I have a Windows PC at work and would like to access the files stored on my Macs at home (Mac Mini, MacBook Air, etc.) as well as be able to control the screen if I need to. What would be the easiest way to do this?

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

It's available for both windows and mac (as well as linux). You can use it for free if it's for personal use (business / corporate use need to purchase license).

Ridiculously easy to set up as well. Does everything you're looking for.

Just download the full version for the computer you want control from (your Windows PC at work) and the Host version to all your Mac computers at home.

Last edited:
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

It's available for both windows and mac (as well as linux). You can use it for free if it's for personal use (business / corporate use need to purchase license).

Ridiculously easy to set up as well. Does everything you're looking for.

Just download the full version for the computer you want control from (your Windows PC at work) and the Host version to all your Mac computers at home.

Nice! Will this let me transfer files between the two computers as well?

Looks like it does. Is the unattended access reliable for those who have used it?

Anyone know if it's possible to set up a Mac to wake from sleep if I try to use the unattended access?

UltraVNC looks good, I'm guessing it doesn't support Macs though? I also use Time Capsules for my routers and they do not support VPN either if I am correct?

I highly doubt Teamviewer can wake from sleep. You need to configure your router to do that when you ping your ip address or something along those lines.

Yes, you can transfer files through Teamviewer, and unattended access is reliable as long as your computer does not go into standby or shut off. However, it tends to be slow as it has to go through Teamviewer servers.

You need to configure your router to do that when you ping your ip address or something along those lines.

Wake-on-LAN? The biggest difficulty with Wake-on-LAN is crossing subnets, because the magic packets that wake the machine use broadcasting to reach their target and some amount of sorcery is required to get routing to happen before the broadcast. Magic packets live in layer 2, while subnetting lives in layer 3.

I would assume it isn't too much to ask for his Windows PC to be on the same subnet as the Macs, though, so Teamviewer should be able to handle sending out the magic packets just fine.
http://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/401-How-does-Wake-on-LAN-with-TeamViewer-work.aspx

Last edited:
UltraVNC looks good, I'm guessing it doesn't support Macs though? I also use Time Capsules for my routers and they do not support VPN either if I am correct?

Apple Remote Desktop Service basically is VNC as I understand it. I've used it many times to remote to Macs from Win7 machines.

Apple Remote Desktop Service basically is VNC as I understand it. I've used it many times to remote to Macs from Win7 machines.

Do you have to be under the same network to use Apple Remote Desktop? I thought you did.. The problem with setting up a VPN is that I'm using Time Capsules, which do not support VPN as far as I know.

While at home I use VNC. Note that if your using Lion, it's native "VNC" is not compatible with normal VNC viewers. I believe Mountain Lion and Mavericks have fixed this, and anything before will work.

Since I have Lion I use Vine VNC server on Mac and then RealVNC on Windows.

Once I'm away from the house I use Teamviewer.

What I like about VNC is that it's totally local (if on the same network), where as I think Teamviewer always goes out over the Internet....I think.

And yes, Teamviewer has a built-in files transfer program.

Back