Acceptable temps for an E6700?

Carter54

Limp Gawd
I just installed an E6700 C2D in my rig and I am starting to play with my clock settings. I currently have it Prime95 stable at a modest OC of 3.3ghz with a 1333 FSB.

Here is my question I am idling around 49-52C and under Load its at 68C is this too hot for a C2D?

This chip seems to run hot even at stock speeds it was 43 idle and 55 under load. I have reseated the Zalmann 9700 and no significant change in temps and the case air is adequate my old 965 Pentium EE ran nice and cool at 4.5GHZ. Ambient temp is 83F ATM.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Carter

I'm getting the same temperature range, and I'm not too sure what the issue is. I noticed that my e6700 has gone from idle of 42 C or so to 52 C after I installed 4 Gb of memory and upgraded the bios on my p5w64 mb. If I take the case cover off, it drops significantly (back down to the 42 C range), but I know I have a very good case (Lian Li P65 USB 2) with 4 case fans. I tried re-seating the heat sink (what a pain that was) and re-applying some AS5 after cleaning off the old stuff thoroughly, but it made no difference. The other odd thing is that under the heaviest load I can put on the CPU, it doesn't get above 58 C. I know this doesn't help or answer your question, but I have seen a few posts in other forums where people complain about a 52 C or so idle temp, but haven't seen any solutions except try and re-seat the HS or get a better CPU cooling solution.

You could've just bumped your old thread. Anyways, how much do the temps change running with the case open and what voltage are you running?

Also, where are you taking those temps? They look a little too high.

I have an E6750 with a Zalman 9700 and with 3.36 Ghz I get ~43ºC with both core at 100% in Prime95.

I am using Core temp for temperature and verifying with speedfan and PC Probe 2.

Voltages are

Vcore 1.43
NB 1.35
1.2HT 1.35
CPU VTT 1.35
mem 2.15 Crucial balistix is rated for 2.2V

the rest are on auto.

I didnt bump my old thread because the questions changed somewhat. I have reseated the HS and reapplied AS5 several times always with the same result. I guess the temps are what they are I got a hot chip.

So now I am asking are these temp OK? What temps are people running E6700's at?

I looked in the C2D OC sticky thread and alot of the screen pics have tempis in the high 60's and low 70's for C2D but I dont want to fry my chip for a few extra MHZ. If my temps are too High I have no issue running at stock speeds Just not that experienced with C2D OC'ing.

Thanks for the Replies,
Carter

My 6600 is idling at 43 right now (night time), with 1.4v @ 3.2ghz, with an enzotech ultra x. It used to idle about 10 C lower, I have reseated the hsf 3 times now with no improvement, even at stock I idle the same. Oh well.

Somewhat of an interesting development last night. I ran Prime 95 all night to verify OC stability and when I checked the PC this morning the Load temps had dropped 5 Degrees C from 68 to 63. I find this strange because the ambient temp in the room only dropped 6 degrees F from 79 to 73 overnight. Might also be that the video Card was mostly inactive throught the night with the monitor off. Any thought on this?

Carter

Somewhat of an interesting development last night. I ran Prime 95 all night to verify OC stability and when I checked the PC this morning the Load temps had dropped 5 Degrees C from 68 to 63. I find this strange because the ambient temp in the room only dropped 6 degrees F from 79 to 73 overnight. Might also be that the video Card was mostly inactive throught the night with the monitor off. Any thought on this?

Carter

Ambient temp, and humity have a great effect on a heatsinks ability to cool off a chip.

Just as a reference, my 6700 @ stock speeds under a full time load running prime95 and cooled by a XP120.
I'm going from memory with these temps, so they might be off a degree or two.

Ambient ~80F
idle = ~34C
load = ~53C

Now with my case open, side panel off.
Ambient ~80F

load = ~48C

OC'ed 6700 @ 3333mhz (vCore +.0375 (in windows cpu-z reports idle 1.336 load 1.304)).
Ambient ~85F Humid
idle = ~38C
load = ~66C

idle = ~36C
load = ~60C

Ambient temp, and humity have a great effect on a heatsinks ability to cool off a chip.

Just as a reference, my 6700 @ stock speeds under a full time load running prime95 and cooled by a XP120.
I'm going from memory with these temps, so they might be off a degree or two.

Ambient ~80F
idle = ~34C
load = ~53C

Ambient ~80F

load = ~48C

OC'ed 6700 @ 3333mhz (vCore +.0375 (in windows cpu-z reports idle 1.336 load 1.304)).
Ambient ~85F Humid
idle = ~38C
load = ~66C

idle = ~36C
load = ~60C

Thanks for the background info on the 6700. I wish I had your idle temps!

I did a similar experiment with the side door open on my case and closed and I saw no real difference in core temperatures. However the MB temp reported by PC Probe did decrease 3c. I was extremely suprised to see that large of a core temp drom with such a small ambient drop. One explanation is that the AS5 might be starting to settle up.

Carter

Thanks for the background info on the 6700. I wish I had your idle temps!

I did a similar experiment with the side door open on my case and closed and I saw no real difference in core temperatures. However the MB temp reported by PC Probe did decrease 3c. I was extremely suprised to see that large of a core temp drom with such a small ambient drop. One explanation is that the AS5 might be starting to settle up.

Carter

Maybe your Zalman 9700 isnt as efficient as my XP-120. I'm just guessing here, I'm not familar with that HS and havent read any reviews on it. So there might be little to no weight with that statement. A better HS might help.

I am using Core temp for temperature and verifying with speedfan and PC Probe 2.

Voltages are

Vcore 1.43
NB 1.35
1.2HT 1.35
CPU VTT 1.35
mem 2.15 Crucial balistix is rated for 2.2V

the rest are on auto.
Carter
But more importantly in your post above you state that your vCore is @ 1.43v if you could get your cpu stable at a lower vcore, that would also be a great help on dropping your temps.

Your idle seems a little high, but your load temps arent extreme.

Right now I'm in the middle of doing some research between a couple of different heatsinks. I thinking about getting a ultima90 or the ultra120. But i'm still waiting on a few more user reviews on the ultima before I make the plunge. The reason being, I would love to get my load temps in the mid to low 50s.

Maybe your Zalman 9700 isnt as efficient as my XP-120. I'm just guessing here, I'm not familar with that HS and havent read any reviews on it. So there might be little to no weight with that statement. A better HS might help.

But more importantly in your post above you state that your vCore is @ 1.43v if you could get your cpu stable at a lower vcore, that would also be a great help on dropping your temps.

Your idle seems a little high, but your load temps arent extreme.

Right now I'm in the middle of doing some research between a couple of different heatsinks. I thinking about getting a ultima90 or the ultra120. But i'm still waiting on a few more user reviews on the ultima before I make the plunge. The reason being, I would love to get my load temps in the mid to low 50s.

I have been messing with the Vcore and the absolute lowest I can get is 1.40625. I stepped every possible step in the BIOS test Prime95 Small FFT for at leaset 2 hours in between steps and several overnight.

Right now its stable at 1.40625 I will do an overnight stability test tonight. CPU-Z reports 1.408 so its close to that.

Idle temps are 48-52C
Load temps are 63

FSB is 333 X 4 1333
CPU is 3.33 GHZ
Mem is 4-4-4-12-2T @ 800 with a 5:4 ratio (this is next on my list for OC)

Vcore 1.40625
1.2VHT 1.35
SB Core auto
CPU VTT 1.35
NB Core is 1.35
Mem is 2.15 but my mobo over voltes it to close to 2.2

Temps are still higher that I would like but im pleased with the OC for now.

Carter

Back