acceptable temp range, in degrees celsius...

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
just installed my C2D processor, am using stock cooling on the cpu and via the antec nine hundred fans. i am wondering what an acceptable temperature range is for this processor.

i have not yet overclocked, and am getting a reading off the ASUS Probe software of 38 degrees C. if i were to overclock, what is a max degrees C that the processor should not reach?

You probably don't want to use Asus Probe for your temp readings. Consensus seems to be that Core Temp or Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) give more accurate values than motherboard-specific programs. Anyway, on a OCers' forum like this one, when people quote temps to you they're probably using CT or TAT, so if you want to make meaningful comparisons you should switch. I recommend Core Temp because it's easier to find w/ a quick Google search.

Also, no offense to Sideroxylon, but I think he's being pretty conservative. C2Ds can run pretty happily at 70 degrees or so without risk. Most will run a lot cooler than that if you've got a decent HSF and good airflow in your box, but I don't think you need to worry about permanently damaging your CPU unless the temp is spiking to 75 or more.

Just by way of comparison, most northbridge chipsets run a LOT hotter than that -- probably in the 80-95 range -- and GPUs run hotter still. Nvidia apparently thinks their chips can handle 130C (!!) before they need to be throttled back (going by the default settings in the Nvidia control panel). If that's true, it seems quite unlikely that 65 degrees will fry your CPU.

Keep it under 63c to be 100% safe.

The chips can run quite a bit hotter than that, and they Throttle back at 85c.

If running over 60c was a problem, they would throttle AT 60c, not 25c above it.

Why would a chip shut down 25c after it's being fried? That's getting a glass of water after you've passed out from dehydration...

Alright? Now, cmon ladies.

The Thermal Specification field is not the max, the CPU's Max temp would be the point just before the chip starts to melt. The TS in the Intel link above is the recommended sustained temp under full load for continuous operation. I run my e6700 on water, folding at 3.33Ghz 24/7 and it is around 55c. With better ram (I'm running old 667Mhz sticks) I could kick it up farther, but I'll need a northbridge waterblock and a second, external radiator to keep it cool.

Back