Accelero S2 and 4850?

Cre8ive

Weaksauce
I'm talking about this aftermarket cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186017

I read a few threads about how people were quite successful in taggin on an Accelero S1 rev.2 to their new 4850s.

From what I've seen (there are spec diagrams on the arctic cooling website http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php) the only difference between the S1 and S2 is the heatsink size. Most everything else looks about the same. Anyone try sticking an S2 on the 4850 or even the 4870?

I wouldn't DARE to. The 4850 and 4870 both run VERY hot.

While I would be reasonably comfortable sticking an Accelero S1 on there, the S2 and it's decreased size means less heat dissipation. You'd probably be better off keeping the stock cooler in place instead of using the S2.

Well the stock cooler is trash, throw the S2 on there and run it with a fan, should be better than stock. But I wouldn't run it passive.

Just spend an extra $10 and get the S1 rev2. Here is a review for it.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4850-512mb-graphics-card-review-24.html

SAPPHIRE-71.jpg

I'd say it's quite a bit better than the stock cooling, and probably a lot better than the S2

From what I've seen it's a pain to get CrossFire working with these. Though the idea of a giant passive heatsink is very nice.

WTF the S1 passive @ load is 30C cooler than the stock @ load? Damn.

I have an S2 on my 8800GT and it works great with a 120mm fan on it. I have a very quiet low cfm fan; my idle temps are around 39C and load is around 52C. That is in a Cosmos case and they aren't the best for cooling to begin with.

wow anyone using it as passive only? That would make a kickass low noise fast card!

People need to realize that when the S1 is setup 'appropriately' in a passive configuration the results can almost be as good as having a fan on the cooler.

In passive configuration Arctic Cooling recommends using the vented ATX slot cover and setting up your system fans in a way that creates a negative pressure inside the case. Basically they want you to have more exaust fan power than intake fan power, which is usually the case in most PC cases anyway. This way when your system is operating cool air will be 'sucked' into the vented ATX slotcover (included with the Accelero) and will pass through the fins of the cooler on it's way into the case. The system actually works VERY well and most people don't even NEED a cooling fan on the Accelero.

Just a tip for those who didn't know... ;)

Dead 4850? Accelero S1 disaster.....
The S1 rev 2 has tiny black spacer washers that should be placed between the sink and the card. If they were not used, I suppose it is possible to crush the core.

The directions do not include that info which is mind boggling.

Another thing is that the S1 is not guaranteed to work with the 4850 by Arctic Cooling. People such as myself take the risk knowing that tolerances could be off a bit.

You can get the S1 for a better price than NE has it for if you shop around.

You can get the S1 for a better price than NE has it for if you shop around.

I just checked SVC and even though it says it's in stock, when you add it into your cart it's no longer available.

anyone know where I could find an S1 for a good price?

wow anyone using it as passive only? That would make a kickass low noise fast card!
I run my 4850 (700/1100) passively with the S1. It just happens that my side case fan sits right next to the S1, so it acts like an active cooler but without a fan strapped onto the heatsink directly. Temperatures are excellent.

From what I've seen it's a pain to get CrossFire working with these. Though the idea of a giant passive heatsink is very nice.

its not to bad just use pillers to lift it up a little then once the connector is through just smooth it out. I did it

The s2 is designed for smaller lower end cards (think 9600gt,8600gt) its not even copper heat sink. Spend a little more and go with the s1

It dropped 30C off my G92 GTSs under load. iirc, the thermal output of a 4850 is near that of a 8800 GTS. I'd have to look it up to be sure though.

hey guys my S1 rev 2 just came and before i install it how can i check if its the one compatible with my 4850?

it has a red sticker on it "NEW COMPATIBLE: 9600GT, 8800GT [G92], 8800GT, HD 3800 series, HD 3600 Series"

is this the one?

i don't even understand how they get 50 at idle with stock cooling. i get 80!

ok, im getting 40-42 idle, and 48 load...

Acelero S1 r2, with a 120mm fan on it, not too bad

but you have a 8800 which runs cooler at stock. i'm trying to figure out how they run 50 with stock 4850 cooling.

Do 120mm fan clips come with the heatsink or can I just duct tape a low rpm fan to it?

ok, im getting 40-42 idle, and 48 load...

Acelero S1 r2, with a 120mm fan on it, not too bad
lawlz...

I'm getting lower idle temperatures (37C) running passive than people with fans strapped to the heatsink. I don't know how that's possible but that's what the readings indicate. My load temperature is a bit higher though (65C). My card is voltmodded and overclocked quite a bit, so that contributes a lot to the load temperature. My roommate's stock 4850 w/ Accelero S1 passive loads at 60 degrees with less case airflow.

Well, I'm a damn fool. I just ordered an S2 yesterday for my 4850, because I figured "S2" meant "S1 Rev 2" I didn't realize they were two different things. So, I'll install this shit and tell you guys how it works out.

that makes 2 of us. I ordered the S2 when I tought I clicked on the S1 button, it pays to triple check ur orders people.

Hmmm, will i get out the drill and try making it fit my 4850??

I have my Accelero S2 on my 8800gt running passive and coretemp is reporting 45C at idle right now. My case is very messy and has positive pressure right now (which I need to fix this weekend :rolleyes:), but I don't even both with fans.... O did I mention it is perfectly silent :D

(I beleive the S2 and S1 R. 2 are very close in performance (maybe 3-4C or so), but you will be fine with either one.

Resurrecting this thread to see what people think about the Accelero S2 on the 4850. I assume it's compatible since it mounts to a 3600 series. I'd go with the S1 but newegg has been out of stock for weeks. I'm about to place an order, so I'd like to know what people have experienced.

Plus the S1 is $20 more everywhere else and I'm not that desperate.

I just got the S1 rev 2 from Newegg onsale about a week ago. It was only instock for less than a day, but $28 shipped is the best price. For everyday pricing I think ~$33 is the best I saw. You need to set the autonotify and/or check back often if you want to catch it onsale if its out of stock.

Anyway this on my 4850 is great, my card had an aftermarket heatsink and still sucked. I set the fan speed on 100% since it was quiet even then I got 50idle to 70C+ load. Switched to a passive with all my case fans turned off and it was cooler than the 100%fan and all of my case fans going.

Straped a 120mm fan on it and OC'd to the max it wont hit 55C

I'm well aware of the performance of the Accelero S1 Rev 2. My question lies with the feasibility of running a 4850 cooled by the Accelero S2. Surface area is slightly decreased (doubt it affects performance) but the amount of heat carried is less because it only transfers heat through 2 pipes instead of 4 in the S1. This might not be an issue since it might be able to carry plenty of heat. No one has ever showed this though. A few people posted about using the S2 on their 4850 and I'm just wondering if the performance is comparable to running it with the S1.

Anyone?

I'm well aware of the performance of the Accelero S1 Rev 2. My question lies with the feasibility of running a 4850 cooled by the Accelero S2. Surface area is slightly decreased (doubt it affects performance) but the amount of heat carried is less because it only transfers heat through 2 pipes instead of 4 in the S1. This might not be an issue since it might be able to carry plenty of heat. No one has ever showed this though. A few people posted about using the S2 on their 4850 and I'm just wondering if the performance is comparable to running it with the S1.

Anyone?
You just answered your own question. It has half the heatpipes and less surface area, and those together are going to have a severe negative impact on its cooling ability. As it stands, the beefiest card its rated for is the X1650 and 7600, and the 4850 puts out substantially more heat than either of these cards.

It's not that cut and dry. I've read plenty of reports of people running this on G92 cores with good performance. It's my understanding that this nvidia core runs comparably hot to the 4850. Also, on arctic cooling's website it specifically states the S2 cools ati 3600s and nvidia 9600s.

AC is most likely basing the cooling ability of the S2 on being completely passive (since that's what it's marketed as) without taking into account attaching a 120mm fan, etc. There's more head room for cooling when you've got a ton more air circulating locally.

I'd like a specific report from a 4850 user with an S2 passive or not.

The issue is not the cash. I'm placing an order from newegg and would like to throw a vga cooler on top of it. They've been out of the S1 for weeks save a few hours last week. The S2 is $2 less but it's conveniently in stock.

I'm really not convinced that the S1 will cool the 4850 substantially better than an S2, but no one seems to be able to show this. All reports I've seen are at least 6 months if not a year old. No one is testing the S2 to see how it compares since the S1 is only a few dollars more and has proven cooling ability.

I'm not desperate here, I just want some concrete evidence to back up what seems to be true.

Boils down to "will S2 cool adequately if S1 is continually not available?" I think yes, but can't find any where agreeing or disagreeing.

Back