Accelero 7970 VRM Temps too high?

That's some crazy low VRM temps, I'm surprised that's even possible with the stock cooler.

open bench or very cold room (it's winter after all). It's useless to compare idle temps, only load temps matter really.

 
Last edited:
open bench or very cold room (it's winter after all). It's useless to compare idle temps, only load temps matter really.


My screenshot was at idle. Not freezing myself out here for lower temps.. it's about 70f in my office. :p Even after a few hours of BF3 or benchmarking I've never seen the VRM's much over 50c.
 
The first picture that I ever saw of a popped vrm on a GTX570 was with an arctic cooling heatsink.

Could one of you guys upload a screenshot of the gpu-z sensor tab?
 

vrm by limperatlinks, on Flickr



Stock 7970
Room Temp 71F
I was looking at buying the Accelero, but I can't spend close to $100 for a product that cant match the stock heatsink when it comes to the vrms. How can anyone be comfortable with any pc part coming close to 100C
 
The VRMs on mine barely pass 38°C on a normal day, playing hours of BF3. Right now I've had mine mining away for the past 24 hours and it hasn't hit that mark yet.

2eoctp3.jpg


Cool basement + waterblock + Gentle Typhoons on low speed = :)
 
The VRMs on mine barely pass 38°C on a normal day, playing hours of BF3. Right now I've had mine mining away for the past 24 hours and it hasn't hit that mark yet.


Cool basement + waterblock + Gentle Typhoons on low speed = :)

duh, it's watercooled, of course it's no comparison to either Accelero or stock cooling :)
 
Just got my Accelero installed man what a difference in noise! So anyway, I've got my HIS card @ 1200Mhz with 1149mv been letting it run 100% gpu usage for the past 7 hours. So my question is in HWINFO64 my VRM#1 IS 120c and VRM#2 is only 85C, which sensor is reading from where? I'm wondering if I need to re do the heat sinks on certain VRM's or not. GPU is at 71C, which is just awesome.
 
I've always had this issue with ATI cards... their VRM temps go crazy... I water cool using a core block and I'll have to stick a 120mm fan directly over the VRMs cause they get so hot. I quit using ATI cards after the 5870 but every ATI card I've had the VRMs would get extremely hot.

At least they don't burn/catch in fire like the VRMs on the Nvidia 590. ;)
 
IMO the 120C is from the VDDC 5 phase mosfet slaves feeding ~1.17v to the core and the 85C is from the mVDDC single phase feeding ~1.6v to memory. These would be 33C and 27C respectively on SolidBladez watercooled 1.10v stock clocked 7970. (which is probably capable of a 50% overclock with those temps). I think 120C is too hot, although they're rated for 150C and wont pop from heat, but they can catch fire, Tjmax, throttle, or get brittle/electromigrate, reduce lifespan.
 
I've also installed the Accelero Xtreme on my 7970 but i barely pass the 55 degrees mark on the VRMs & 42 for the GPU after a 30 mins loop of Uningine or few hours of BF3
I really don't see any logical explanation for those with 100+ degrees besides a bad installation.



This is my naked 7970 with the Ram / VRM heatsinks.

 
Last edited:
well, it may very well be, although there isn't much too the install of heatsinks, but I can try to reseat them... I also will need to try to reduce core clock to stock and see the VRM temps
 
I've also installed the Accelero Xtreme on my 7970 but i barely pass the 55 degrees mark on the VRMs & 42 for the GPU after a 30 mins loop of Uningine or few hours of BF3
I really don't see any logical explanation for those with 100+ degrees besides a bad installation.



This is my naked 7970 with the Ram / VRM heatsinks.


^^^ Those are the temps I expected to see. I wonder why there is so much variance in the VRM temps with the Accelero Xtreme kit? :confused:
 
Well so far as I can tell I installed it the same as pictured, The only variance could be the amount of thermal glue applied to the heatsinks or the airflow in the case. I currently put the old thermal tape from the reference card on the BACK of the card on the VRM area with the left over heat sinks, then added a 80mm fan running at a very low rpm (inaudible) blowing air away from the card and near the CPU. The VRM's and the temps dropped from 120C to 92C and from 85C to 65C respectively. Pretty awesome :D

Maybe try running furmark for 2-3 hours @ 1200mhz and check your temps :)
 
Last edited:
Well so far as I can tell I installed it the same as pictured, The only variance could be the amount of thermal glue applied to the heatsinks or the airflow in the case. I currently put the old thermal tape from the reference card on the BACK of the card on the VRM area with the left over heat sinks, then added a 80mm fan running at a very low rpm (inaudible) blowing air away from the card and near the CPU. The VRM's and the temps dropped from 120C to 92C and from 85C to 65C respectively. Pretty awesome :D

Maybe try running furmark for 2-3 hours @ 1200mhz and check your temps :)

I could try run fur mark but whats the point ? That program is pretty much useless imho. It not a real world test, i rather keep using Uningine or BF3 as a stability test.
 
Well so far as I can tell I installed it the same as pictured, The only variance could be the amount of thermal glue applied to the heatsinks or the airflow in the case. I currently put the old thermal tape from the reference card on the BACK of the card on the VRM area with the left over heat sinks, then added a 80mm fan running at a very low rpm (inaudible) blowing air away from the card and near the CPU. The VRM's and the temps dropped from 120C to 92C and from 85C to 65C respectively. Pretty awesome :D

Maybe try running furmark for 2-3 hours @ 1200mhz and check your temps :)

That still seems awful hot. I just ran ungine maxed out settings for 20 minutes looping and the highest my VRM's saw was 58c with stock cooling and a custom fan profile. The highest fan speed was 50%. GPU max temp 68c. :confused:
 
That still seems awful hot. I just ran ungine maxed out settings for 20 minutes looping and the highest my VRM's saw was 58c with stock cooling and a custom fan profile. The highest fan speed was 50%. GPU max temp 68c. :confused:

VRM temps in the mid 90s are not very hot, anything under 100c is ideal. Obvisously the lower the better but I have seen many stock cards that can hit 100c + on the VRMs. They are rated up to 125c or higher and even running them at 100-110c will not do them any harm for normal gaming use. Hell, even if you are a Taiwanese kid living in his parents basement, playing WoW 24/7 for months on end, eating nothing but energy bars and Red Bull. You will most likely die before the graphics card does :)

The idea that VRMs running at 90-100c is too hot, stems from the fact that your GPU is too hot at the same temps. Far too often people take the GPU safe temps and apply it to every single part of the graphics card.

In short, for VRMs the cooler the better but anything under 100 is preferable, even 100-110 won't do any lasting harm.
 
^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot. What worries me is that some of the temps reported by those using the Accelero kit are a good 40~50c higher than a stock cooler. If I'm going to drop $100 on a aftermarket cooler I'd expect better cooling. The Accelero kit achieves that for the GPU but is hit-n-miss on the VRM.
 
^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot. What worries me is that some of the temps reported by those using the Accelero kit are a good 40~50c higher than a stock cooler. If I'm going to drop $100 on a aftermarket cooler I'd expect better cooling. The Accelero kit achieves that for the GPU but is hit-n-miss on the VRM.

This exactly, but for me its the non-reference cards themselves. I am currently in "line" for the Direct cuII 7970, but all these non-reference cards get pretty frighteningly bad vrm temps. If I am going to pay a premium, why would I go with a solution that does only half the job it should? Somewhat concerning.
 
^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot. What worries me is that some of the temps reported by those using the Accelero kit are a good 40~50c higher than a stock cooler. If I'm going to drop $100 on a aftermarket cooler I'd expect better cooling. The Accelero kit achieves that for the GPU but is hit-n-miss on the VRM.

As i said before, there is either something wrong with some Accelero 7970 or perhaps a bad installation of the VRM heatsinks.

I am not exactly the type of person that switches aftermarket coolers everyday but i followed carefully the Accelero PDF manual and probably read every possible review on the web and here are the results, 45 degrees @ full while playing BF3 for 3 hours (the VRMs barely reach the 55 degrees mark).
 
Should I try to reinstall it? How much of a pain is it to remove it all and start again? Also does anybody know exactly what the VRMs are on the board?
 
As i said before, there is either something wrong with some Accelero 7970 or perhaps a bad installation of the VRM heatsinks.

I am not exactly the type of person that switches aftermarket coolers everyday but i followed carefully the Accelero PDF manual and probably read every possible review on the web and here are the results, 45 degrees @ full while playing BF3 for 3 hours (the VRMs barely reach the 55 degrees mark).

It would be more helpful if you listed what Vcore and Mhz the clock is running at, as well as your case/airflow setup. When you use HWINFO what are your VRM#1/#2 temps?
 
^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot. What worries me is that some of the temps reported by those using the Accelero kit are a good 40~50c higher than a stock cooler. If I'm going to drop $100 on a aftermarket cooler I'd expect better cooling. The Accelero kit achieves that for the GPU but is hit-n-miss on the VRM.

You are by admission lumping GPU temps and VRM temps together, ie 100c = fire. This is a very common mistake, but it is a non-sequitur. GPU core temps approach dangerous levels at 95c +, even stock coolers will attempt to keep them from going over this level.

By comparison VRM temps do not get to dangerous levels until around 115c, or even higher depending on the VRMs used. This is a full 20c + difference in max temperatures, so if you are getting 100c on your VRMs they are still within tolerances. The fact that Asus DCU II cards are getting 100c on the VRMs should be the big clue here.

To put it another way, if your GPU was getting 80c at 100% load, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. This is the equivelant of a VRM hitting 100c, yet people think 100c VRM = housefire.

If the VRMs were dangerous at 100c then Asus wouldn't be letting their cards get that hot. By the same logic Artic would have built a different VRM cooling solution long ago. After all, pretty much all of their addon coolers have had the same design for years.

I agree that in all things GPU related cooler = better, but lets cut out the hyperbole and proclaim that 100c on a VRM is going to kill a graphic card. It won't
 
Last edited:
It would be more helpful if you listed what Vcore and Mhz the clock is running at, as well as your case/airflow setup. When you use HWINFO what are your VRM#1/#2 temps?

Antec 1200.

The card is running @ 1200/1600 1116mv.

During BF3 sessions i've never seen the VRMs at more than 57 degrees.

In the other hand, i did run a few hours ago the FurMark Xtreme-Burn-In benchmark and they almost reached 115 degrees.
 
Antec 1200.

The card is running @ 1200/1600 1116mv.

During BF3 sessions i've never seen the VRMs at more than 57 degrees.

In the other hand, i did run a few hours ago the FurMark Xtreme-Burn-In benchmark and they almost reached 115 degrees.

I have an Aplenphoen Peter 7970 GPU aftermarket cooler. One hour session on Withcher 2 and the GPU temperature was 57c, the VRMs were 86 and 67. Five minutes of Furmark brought them to 115c, so clearly Furmark = bad. I have known this for years, yet I still run it. I just uninstalled it, to remove any tempation to run it :)
 
I have an Aplenphoen Peter 7970 GPU aftermarket cooler. One hour session on Withcher 2 and the GPU temperature was 57c, the VRMs were 86 and 67. Five minutes of Furmark brought them to 115c, so clearly Furmark = bad. I have known this for years, yet I still run it. I just uninstalled it, to remove any tempation to run it :)

For me it was the last time i use it as a stability test, here in Israel is winter right now, if it was summer i'd have fried the card since the max safe temps for the VRMs are 120c right ?.

In the other hand, 15 minutes Xtreme Burn-In Benchmark the gpu didn't get past 60 degrees.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/furmark_192_score.php?id=41340

Accelero = Good :).
 
For me it was the last time i use it as a stability test, here in Israel is winter right now, if it was summer i'd have fried the card since the max safe temps for the VRMs are 120c right ?.

120 is the max safe temperature, but 121 does not = instant fried card. I have seen VRMs get to 140c running Furmark but they didn't explode... luckily :)

I would be reasonably OK seeing temps at 105-107c after a prolongued gaming session. I would feel safer if it was less than 100c but it is nothing to panic over.
 
Antec 1200.

The card is running @ 1200/1600 1116mv.

During BF3 sessions i've never seen the VRMs at more than 57 degrees.

In the other hand, i did run a few hours ago the FurMark Xtreme-Burn-In benchmark and they almost reached 115 degrees.

Ahh, yes and that is what I am doing to get to those tempertures. I think the variance we see is what kind of load the GPU sees after hours of use. I'm sure my VRM temps while general gaming would be considerably lower, I've been benching worst case scenario's.
 
Ahh, yes and that is what I am doing to get to those tempertures. I think the variance we see is what kind of load the GPU sees after hours of use. I'm sure my VRM temps while general gaming would be considerably lower, I've been benching worst case scenario's.

Well, if you get decent VRM temps during your gaming hours like a i do (Forget about furmark) you shouldn't worry at all, i've playing BF3 on a 64 players map for 4 hours and the VRM temps always stay below the 60c while 15 minutes of Xtreme Burn In almost got them to their safe limit.
Honestly i think Furmark its a pretty useless method to test the card stability, for me it was the 1st and last time i use it, i rather stick to the Uningine / Crysis 2 DX11 Ultra Settings & HD Textures Pack / BF3 MP.
 
You are by admission lumping GPU temps and VRM temps together, ie 100c = fire. This is a very common mistake, but it is a non-sequitur. GPU core temps approach dangerous levels at 95c +, even stock coolers will attempt to keep them from going over this level.

By comparison VRM temps do not get to dangerous levels until around 115c, or even higher depending on the VRMs used. This is a full 20c + difference in max temperatures, so if you are getting 100c on your VRMs they are still within tolerances. The fact that Asus DCU II cards are getting 100c on the VRMs should be the big clue here.

To put it another way, if your GPU was getting 80c at 100% load, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. This is the equivelant of a VRM hitting 100c, yet people think 100c VRM = housefire.

If the VRMs were dangerous at 100c then Asus wouldn't be letting their cards get that hot. By the same logic Artic would have built a different VRM cooling solution long ago. After all, pretty much all of their addon coolers have had the same design for years.

I agree that in all things GPU related cooler = better, but lets cut out the hyperbole and proclaim that 100c on a VRM is going to kill a graphic card. It won't

Where exactly did I say 100c would kill a video card.. cause a fire or any of the crap that you just attributed to me in this post? I mean.. you set up the strawman nicely and knocked him over and all... but I've never claimed any of the points you just argued.

1) I never lumped GPU & VRM temps together.
2) I never said 100c VRM would do damage, cause a fire, is dangerous or kill a graphics card.

I did say I expected better from an aftermarket cooler. I did say no way in hell I'd let my temps get that high.

So yes.. lets "cut out the hyperbole" and stick to discussing points I've actually made shall we? :rolleyes:
 
Well now i'm confused, all of you with the Accelero and high VRM temps it's all based on the Furmark application ?.

From my own tests the gap between furmark and games its close to 50c which is a lot and shouldn't be used as point of reference to consider the cooler bad or good.
Btw i found out that HWINFO can attach VRM temperatures to the MSI AB OSD.

 
Where exactly did I say 100c would kill a video card.. cause a fire or any of the crap that you just attributed to me in this post? I mean.. you set up the strawman nicely and knocked him over and all... but I've never claimed any of the points you just argued.

Hmm, lets ses now, how would I have got the idea that you feel that over 90c is too hot. Ah here it is.

^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot.

You have repeatedly stated that 100c is too hot for VRMs. The implication I took from your above statement is that anything over 90c for GPUs is dangerous. The term "No way in hell" in the context of this thread is hardly an ambiguous statement that can be taken any other way.

What worries me is that some of the temps reported by those using the Accelero kit are a good 40~50c higher than a stock cooler. If I'm going to drop $100 on a aftermarket cooler I'd expect better cooling. The Accelero kit achieves that for the GPU but is hit-n-miss on the VRM.

I agree, it should be better, but the fact that they are still running inside the upper VRM limits seems to be lost on you.

1) I never lumped GPU & VRM temps together.

Yes you did, here it is again for you to read. The term VRM and GPU used together, clear as day to me.

^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at. These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well. No way in hell I want mine running that hot.

2) I never said 100c VRM would do damage, cause a fire, is dangerous or kill a graphics card.

Not outright no, but the implication is there considering the jist of your posts. For example soulrider4ever stated he had his VRM's and the temps at 92C and 65C and you replied it was still "awfull hot". How else are we meant to take the quote "awfull hot" if not as some sort of warning?

I did say I expected better from an aftermarket cooler. I did say no way in hell I'd let my temps get that high.

So yes.. lets "cut out the hyperbole" and stick to discussing points I've actually made shall we? :rolleyes:

I am discussing the points you made, you clearly can't remember them.
 
Asus VRMs on the 7970 DirectCUii are supposedly better then reference so temperature tolerance on those may be higher. This is what I like the most about the Asus though.

Unlike traditional chokes, Super Alloy Chokes run 35°C cooler* and eliminate buzzing noise under load.

http://www.asus.com/News/1SEPpyJktCfBBHEj/
 
Hmm, lets ses now, how would I have got the idea that you feel that over 90c is too hot. Ah here it is.

Except I'm not disclaiming that I felt 90c was too hot. I do. We're discussing the other bogus claims you attributed to my post in constructing your strawman.

You have repeatedly stated that 100c is too hot for VRMs. The implication I took from your above statement is that anything over 90c for GPUs is dangerous. The term "No way in hell" in the context of this thread is hardly an ambiguous statement that can be taken any other way.

No. I repeated stated I'd never let mine get that hot. You took that statement and ran with it to the point of stupidity with assertions like:

You are by admission lumping GPU temps and VRM temps together, ie 100c = fire.

Right. Me stating no way I'd let mine get that hot is the exact same thing as me saying it'd catch fire. Why would I have issues with that interpretation? Next time it hits 100f outside and I say "I'm too hot" I'm absolutely sure people in earshot will take that to mean I expect to burst into flames at any moment. :rolleyes:

I agree, it should be better, but the fact that they are still running inside the upper VRM limits seems to be lost on you.

The point is that aftermarket cooling should be better. Period.

Yes you did, here it is again for you to read. The term VRM and GPU used together, clear as day to me.

Let me assist your reading comprehension issues. I said:

"^^^ I understand what the VRM's are rated at."

See that lil' dot at the end after the word "at"? It's called a period. It signifies the end of the sentence. As in full stop. After that.. in the next sentence I stated:

"These gpu's are rated at over 90c as well."

Two separate sentences.

Not outright no, but the implication is there considering the jist of your posts. For example soulrider4ever stated he had his VRM's and the temps at 92C and 65C and you replied it was still "awfull hot". How else are we meant to take the quote "awfull hot" if not as some sort of warning?

I never said 100c VRM would do damage...
I never said 100c VRM would cause a fire...
I never said 100c VRM is dangerous...
I never said 100c VRM would kill a graphics card...

Not outright...
Not implied...
Not by jist...
Not in a tree...
Not on a train...
Not on a boat with a goat...

Scooter I am.

I am discussing the points you made, you clearly can't remember them.

You are discussing points you claim I implied instead of what I actually said. Your issues distinguishing the difference between what I actually said and what you claim I implied are not my problem or an issue with my memory.
 
you guys better end it now before mods come in and lock the topic thanks to you two :eek:
 
Asus VRMs on the 7970 DirectCUii are supposedly better then reference so temperature tolerance on those may be higher. This is what I like the most about the Asus though.

Unlike traditional chokes, Super Alloy Chokes run 35°C cooler* and eliminate buzzing noise under load.

http://www.asus.com/News/1SEPpyJktCfBBHEj/

Thanks for the link, I assume this means the Asus DCU II is fine at 100c on the VRMs. As I said earlier, they wouldn't let it get to those temperatures if they were dangerous to the card.

To the OP, as long as you get them under 100c they will be fine. At this temperature they are within tolerances. Of course lower is always better but under 100c is not going to kill your VRMs.

Also, sorry for going OT and arguing over something as silly as VRMs on an internet forum. My apologies Evil Scooter.
 
Last edited:
This thread proves that people will argue over the most mundane things if they feel that someone is saying they're wrong. :)

Anyway, does anybody have any idea on how to cool the VRMs? I am sure that the heatsinks are properly installed, would making a 120mm fan blow on the side of the card help or would it fuck up their airflow? I mean from the the thin side (where the crossfire connection is)?
 
Back
Top